Video List - January #1

Geoeng Info

Jan 17, 2022, 5:04:21 PM1/17/22
to carbondiox...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone! I bring to you a small (delayed) list of recent videos on the topics of CDR.

There's a playlist with more videos on topic, you can check it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF8369A27273314D8

Enjoy! Hope we all have a great coming week.

Is more region-specific research & Development needed to weigh the risks and benefits of CDR

by C2G Carnegie Climate Governance Initiative

Ms. Vera Songwe is the United Nations Under-Secretary-General and the 9th serving Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). As Executive Secretary, Songwe, focusing on “ideas for a prosperous Africa”, her organisational reforms have brought to the fore critical issues of macroeconomic stability; development finance, growth and private sector; poverty and inequality; the digital transformation and data; and trade and competitiveness. She is acknowledged for her long-standing track record of providing policy advice on development and her wealth of experience in delivering development results for Africa. A strong advocate of the private sector, she launched a business forum debate at ECA and created, for the first time, a private sector Division with a number of significant initiatives.

Climate solution: STONES can SAVE us (the most interesting video about stones on YouTube)

by Patrick Niedermayer

Enhanced Weathering: What you need to know.
More on the current state of research here: https://youtu.be/QvfWI06mEFY

Carbon Removal: Our TRILLION Dollar Horizon?

by Marcus Sonoma

I walk you through six of the most compelling Carbon Removal methods that will help us remove CO2 out of the atmosphere.
This is the film that I wish existed when I started learning about the inevitability of Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR).

The L NET Straw Proposal - A Negative Emissions Tariff for Luxembourg and Beyond.

by OpenAir

In this webinar Sven Clement and OpenAir's Chris Neidl & Kasia Mikoluk present a straw proposal for the L-NET policy and an invitation to participate in a grassroots mobilization to make it law.

This Is CDR EP18: DAC + Concrete with Chris Neidl & Na'im Merchant

by OpenAir

In this installment of This Is CDR we are pleased to welcome OpenAir’s own Na’im Merchant and Chris Neidl to to survey the primary pathways by which concrete can sequester CO2 in concrete, and how direct air carbon capture (DACC) plus concrete represents a scalable CDR solution we can start deploying *today*.

Changing The Climate #82 - Brennan Spellacy

by Climate Change Realty

Brennan Spellacy is the CEO and Co-Founder of Patch, a tech company with a mission to reach giga-tonne scale carbon sequestration. Check out: patch.io

The potential of alkaline mineral materials for CO2 removal from the atmosphere

by Mineralogical Society

In addition to extensive reduction in greenhouse gas emissions we may also need to remove billions of tonnes of CO2 per year from the atmosphere to avoid dangerous climate change.  Alkaline materials are produced in numerous industries (cement, by-product slag from steel manufacturing, and red mud from aluminium production). These materials readily react with CO2 to form carbonate minerals, representing stable long-term storage. However, the potential of these materials to prevent climate change has been considered relatively minor because i) they are produced from emission intensive processes, ii) their carbonation potential can typically displace only a small proportion of these emissions, iii) fully exploiting the theoretical potential of current annual production may result in, at best, a total removal of less than 1 Gt CO2 per year. Here I will present new modelling results which suggests that with increases in future material demand to meet a growing and developing global population, the carbon dioxide sequestration potential of alkaline materials may be several GtCO2 per year by 2100. However, to be able to exploit this we will need new research on how these materials react with CO2, we are only scratching the surface on the geochemical behaviour of these materials.

Panel Carbon Dioxide Removal: Mission Possible for Net Zero. Frontier Stage, Day 1

by Hello Tomorrow

TNZ panel discussion 3: Could direct air capture technology save us from climate change?

by Imperial College Faculty of Natural Sciences

The Transition to Net Zero panels is a series of monthly panel discussions featuring academics, policymakers and industry leaders discussing the key technical, socio-economic and policy challenges of transitioning to a Net Zero society.

ICRLP 1st Annual Conference: Welcome and ROUNDTABLE: Domestic Legal Frameworks for Ocean CDR

by Institute for Carbon Removal Law and Policy

ROUNDTABLE: Domestic Legal Frameworks for Ocean CDR
Abstract: Scientists are currently investigating a range of ocean-based carbon dioxide removal (CDR) techniques which, if shown to be feasible, will need to be tested in situ in the open ocean. Previous in situ tests of one ocean CDR technique—ocean fertilization—were highly controversial, with many groups expressing concern about the apparent lack of oversight of the tests. Given this experience, and the growing interest in testing other approaches, many researchers and policy-makers are seeking to better understand the legal framework governing ocean CDR. Prior research has explored how existing international agreements and customary international law could apply to ocean CDR research and deployment. However, international agreements and customary international law generally do not impose binding obligations on private actors (e.g., individual and corporations). Those actors are subject only to the domestic laws of the country in whose territory, or under whose jurisdiction, they are operating. Further, domestic law in many cases impose rules and regulations beyond those required by international law. It is, therefore, essential for researchers and others involved in ocean CDR projects to understand the applicable domestic laws. This panel will feature legal academics from the U.S. and Europe to discuss how existing domestic laws in their countries could apply to the testing and deployment of different ocean CDR techniques (including ocean fertilization, ocean alkalinity enhancement, artificial upwelling and downwelling, and seaweed cultivation). Key gaps and shortcomings in existing laws will be identified and possible reforms explored.