Development of Core-shell Electrospun Fibers Containing Adsorbents for Direct Air Capture of CO2—Thesis

Geoengineering News

Jul 19, 2024, 2:32:10 PM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com
https://www.proquest.com/openview/3ec0d89266c1b1548c95d3db3495ce8e/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=18750&diss=y

Author
Lee, JaeJun

State University of New York at Buffalo

Abstract
After the Industrial Revolution, there was a heightened reliance on fossil fuels that led to an increased atmospheric CO2 concentration. The global warming effect of greenhouse gases such as CO2 has led to increasing global mean temperatures on Earth, which has shown devastating results such as loss of ecosystems and a higher frequency of natural disasters. Scientists have determined that in order to return pre-industrial temperatures we need carbon-negative technologies, such as direct air capture (DAC). Many materials have been studied for post-combustion CO2 capture, however, DAC has different conditions compared to capturing CO2 from emission gases and requires an adsorbent that can capture CO2 at low concentrations. Amine-based adsorbents have shown potential for this application, but in powder form, it could not be used in industry due to significant pressure drop when used in a packed bed. In this work, we made electrospun coaxial fibers containing adsorbent embedded within them, which is advantageous as they offer lower pressure drops while enabling high loadings.

Source: Proquest