Limits of Enhanced Weathering potentials – Deductions from column experiments

Geoeng Info

Jun 1, 2021, 7:01:20 AM6/1/21
to carbondiox...@googlegroups.com

Limits of Enhanced Weathering potentials – Deductions from column experiments

Jens Hartmann Thorben Amann

Abstract
Carbon dioxide removal efforts become increasingly important to keep climate change targets. The distribution of rock products into soils to remove CO2 from the atmosphere by weathering (Enhanced Weathering) was identified as a method with high potential [1]. However, the majority of assessments is based on modelling studies, which have to rely on a number of assumptions for parameterization, as real-world measurements are still scarce.

In order to elucidate the effects of grain size distribution and soil pCO2 levels, column experiments were set up, simulating humid tropical conditions found in some hotspots of weathering:

  • Columns filled with olivine-rich dunite material with three different grain size distributions under fixed atmospheric CO2conditions
  • Columns filled with different materials (dunite, basalt, oxisol, and a combination of the latter two) with a fixed grain size comparing the effects of ambient and saturated COconditions

The weathering fluxes under saturated CO2 conditions are about four times higher in all columns except the dunite column, where fluxes were nearly twelve times higher. Grain size distribution is relevant to study further, as highest weathering rates of dunite were observed in columns with coarser grains, which seems counterintuitive at first.

The findings indicate some important issues to be considered in future experiments and a potential rollout as a carbon dioxide removal method: 1) Only in theory do small grainsizes of the spread material yield large CO2 drawdown potentials. The hydrologic conditions, which determine the residence times, i.e., the time available for weathering reactions, are more important than a small grain size. 2) Saturated CO2 column results provide upper limit estimates for weathering rates. 3) As the carbon accounting is still a problem to solve, the observed setup-specific robust relationship between alkalinity and conductivity might provide an easy-to-handle tool in the future to account for carbon uptake from weathering by measuring conductivity in cropland drainage water.

Robert Höglund

Jun 1, 2021, 10:26:01 PM6/1/21
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
This is a groundbreaking result. "Only in theory do small grain sizes of the spread material yield large CO2 drawdown potentials." Will be very interesting to see the data.

I believe Jens Hartmann is on this list, and several others that are doing similar work. Would be very interesting to understand what is behind this result. Does this mean that EW has low potential since not even small grains will be able to weather quickly?

Best regards

Ken Caldeira

Jun 2, 2021, 1:31:55 AM6/2/21
to Robert Höglund, Carbon Dioxide Removal
Effects of grain size on weathering will depend on how the silicate rock grains are to be distributed.

Very fine particles on a sandy beach behave very differently from fine particles composing a nearly impermeable homogenous fine grain mud.

There is a large literature among geochemists comparing weathering rates measured in laboratory and (natural) field conditions, and trying to explain why the weathering in field conditions is usually slower.

Fluid flow and secondary precipitates usually play important roles.

Pol Knops

Jun 2, 2021, 4:08:35 AM6/2/21
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
Ken is right. Besides the geochemically modelling (smaller particles = faster), but other considerations are less well known.
Coarser particles will result in a better waterflow, and fresh (carbonic) water the option to react. So the hydrological factors.
Another less well known is the influence of chelating agents, organic acids. So in general the influence of biological factors.

This gives an explanation of:
"The weathering fluxes under saturated CO2 conditions are about four times higher in all columns except the dunite column, where fluxes were nearly twelve times higher. Grain size distribution is relevant to study further, as highest weathering rates of dunite were observed in columns with coarser grains, which seems counterintuitive at first."

Best regards,
Pol Knops

Jens Hartmann (UHH)

Jun 2, 2021, 5:12:31 AM6/2/21
to CarbonDiox...@googlegroups.com

Sorry if this comes several times. But it seemed my first two attempts landed in the empty space.

Dear Ken caldera, dear Robert Höglund

a)

Thanks for answering. Yes, there is no black-white answer. The example with the mud is a good example.

The results confirm that application of EW needs grain size management and this depends on the original soil material, climate and how the rock powder is mixed in, etc. .

We achieved high CO2-consumption rates per m^2 land simulated in a column. I will show the data at the Goldschmidt conference.

b)

To answer the previous question "Does this mean that EW has low potential since not even small grains will be able to weather quickly? "

No, the results do not show this. We tested the upper limits (high rain fall, high CO2 in the soil).

The question of potential: this needs a reference, high-low relative to what?.

c)

I believe since some time that looking only at EW is not the way to go, but rather figuring out how to optimize the carbon pool per m^2 of land.

This means we have to think about to fusion methods: enhanced weathering, biochar, biological carbon uptake and storage and also the effect of rock powder on possibly stabilizing soil organic carbon, etc.

Some ideas are presented in the figure attached, slightly modified after Amann & Hartmann 2019, Biogeosciences. This could be improved, adding more processes. We should add SOC, e.g..

All the best, Jens
Jens Hartmann (Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil.)
Institute for Geology / Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability
Universität Hamburg / Bundesstrasse 55 / D-20146 Hamburg / Germany
Phone: +49(0)40 - 42838 6686 / jens.h...@uni-hamburg.de

Robert Höglund

Jun 2, 2021, 9:19:51 AM6/2/21
to Jens Hartmann (UHH), Carbon Dioxide Removal
Thank you Jens for your clarification and explanation and Ken for your answer.

On potential, of course, you are right Jens, potential needs to be related to something.I was thinking about previous papers of yours and others that showed large grains of dunite/forsterite to weather so slowly it might not be of use to solve global heating this century (for example here, pointing to 2300 years dissolution time for an olivine 1mm sphere in PH 5.).
But I suppose EW in soils with microbs, and as you point out co-applied with biochar offers completely different possibilities. It is very encouraging to hear that you "achieved high CO2-consumption rates per m^2 land simulated in a column."

Best regards

Den ons 2 juni 2021 kl 16:12 skrev Jens Hartmann (UHH) <jens.h...@uni-hamburg.de>:

[...]

Pol Knops

Jun 2, 2021, 1:55:58 PM6/2/21
to Carbon Dioxide Removal
Helllo Jens (and others),

I agree, the focus should not be solely CO2 sequestration. But look for an integral solution.
And in addition to Jens remark:
"believe since some time that looking only at EW is not the way to go, but rather figuring out how to optimize the carbon pool per m^2 of land."
I would like to add how to "optimize the carbon pool, depending on the land/crop use"

For instance in
- soil pH: Lime is a known CO2 emitter, and ie. Olivine releases Magnesium. So depending on the plant requirements ("need for Magnesium and alkalinity) olivine could be a partial replacement for lime (and of course take into consideration the heavy metals).
- civil applications: i.e. there is quite some granite/basalt used in walking and biking paths. Replacing this with Olivine gives the same functionality (an aggregate) and additionally sequestration CO2.
So not firstly look at the maximum (or fastest) CO2 uptake, but first look at the application, and then consider how this can be used to ALSO sequester CO2.
And indeed the amounts CO2 sequestered are smaller than focussing at solely optimizing the carbon pool.

Best regards,
Pol Knops