Limited effects of tree planting on forest canopy cover and rural livelihoods in Northern India

Geoeng Info

Sep 16, 2021, 1:49:55 PM9/16/21
to carbondiox...@googlegroups.com

Limited effects of tree planting on forest canopy cover and rural livelihoods in Northern India

Eric A. Coleman, Bill Schultz, Vijay Ramprasad, Harry Fischer, Pushpendra Rana, Anthony M. Filippi, Burak Güneralp, Andong Ma, Claudia Rodriguez Solorzano, Vijay Guleria, Rajesh Rana & Forrest Fleischman

Abstract

Many countries have adopted large-scale tree planting programmes as a climate mitigation strategy and to support local livelihoods. We evaluate a series of large-scale tree planting programmes using data collected from historical Landsat imagery in the state of Himachal Pradesh in Northern India. Using this panel dataset, we use an event study design to estimate the socioeconomic and biophysical impacts over decades of these programmes. We find that tree plantings have not, on average, increased the proportion of forest canopy cover and have modestly shifted forest composition away from the broadleaf varieties valued by local people. Further cross-sectional analysis, from a household livelihood survey, shows that tree planting supports little direct use by local people. We conclude that decades of expensive tree planting programmes in this region have not proved effective. This result suggests that large-scale tree planting may sometimes fail to achieve its climate mitigation and livelihood goals.