Washington Post reviews 1.5 goal and CDR likelihood

Albert Bates

Dec 5, 2022, 11:45:48 AM12/5/22
to Carbon Dioxide Removal

The Washington Post examined over 1,200 different scenarios for climate change over the coming century, based on the models produced by the world’s leading climate scientists and considered in a key 2022 report of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Working with experts from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, WaPo explored the central features of these scenarios — how fast the world embraces clean energy, how quickly we can remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere — and looked at how these in turn affect the planet’s temperature over the course of the century.

Out of more than 1,200 scenarios — some with temperatures rising as high as 5°C above preindustrial levels — 230 paths leave our planet below 1.5°C before the end of the century.