Ftp Availability

Jerry Rabe

Feb 14, 2021, 5:36:37 PMFeb 14
to Capriccio App Forum
When will ftp be available on version 4.0.?  The Wi-fi File Transfer works OK, except you can't transfer folders, just files.  This makes it much more time consuming to transfer a music library.

Capriccio App Forum

Feb 18, 2021, 11:36:11 AMFeb 18
to Capriccio App Forum
Hello.

Unfortunately, the FTP-based Wi-Fi server feature is removed due to several issues (e.g., compatibility due to diverse FTP client implementations).
Instead, we are currently working hard to implement the folder upload support on the web browser-based Wi-Fi server.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Sincerely,
Capriccio Developer

Stanislav Sokolov

Apr 28, 2021, 12:53:15 PMApr 28
to Capriccio App Forum
Hi!

I've also come to this forum to see what happened to the FTP support! It was the primary way of managing my music library in Capriccio. Moving around folders, having a nested folder structure, etc.
Maybe you can use the source code of the open-source pureftpd in your project? Or tinyftpd? Both are minimalistic FTP servers with wide client support.

As for the Browser transfer - there is a bug in the latest version (4.1.2). I transferred a bunch of files in nested folders, and the transfer process created an additional layer of folders for each music file with the same name as the music file:
folder1/folder2/music.mp3 became folder1/folder2/music.mp3/music.mp3

Capriccio App Forum

May 18, 2021, 8:58:56 AMMay 18
to Capriccio App Forum
Hi, thank you for your reply.

First of all, I am really sorry for discontinuing support for the FTP server feature at this moment. This is because there were many issues regarding the support for the FTP server.
One of the main issue was related to the Unicode support: since iOS had been used to use Apple File System (APFS) as the internal file system of the iOS devices, a lot of problems had been raised regarding the Unicode support.
I also tried to use open-source libraries such as pureftpd, but it also had the same issue.

Another solution on my side is to implement the FTP server feature by myself (by writing a code purely in Swift or Objective-C). I still keep this as a valid option, because many users, including you and even me, loved the FTP server feature. But I suspect that it may take a lot of time to implement this with considering the Unicode issue, so I did not include this in the current version.

About the issue in the browser-based Wi-Fi file transfer feature, thank you so much for reporting that issue! The fix will be included in the next update.

Sorry for the inconvenience again about the current circumstances of the FTP server feature.

Sincerely,
Capriccio Developer