Cap'n Proto 0.4: Time-traveling RPC

Kenton Varda

Dec 12, 2013, 2:16:50 PM12/12/13
to capnproto...@googlegroups.com

Hi capnproto-announce,

Well, Hofstadter kicked in and this release took way too long. But, after three long months, I’m happy to announce:

Time-Traveling RPC

v0.4 finally introduces the long-promised RPC system. Traditionally, RPC is plagued by the fact that networks have latency, and pretending that latency doesn’t exist by hiding it behind what looks like a normal function call only makes the problem worse. Cap’n Proto has a simple solution to this problem: send call results back in time, so they arrive at the client at the point in time when the call was originally made!

Curious how Cap’n Proto bypasses the laws of physics? Check out the docs!

Promises in C++

If you do a lot of serious Javascript programming, you’ve probably heard of Promises/A+ and similar proposals. Cap’n Proto RPC introduces a similar construct in C++. In fact, the API is nearly identical, and its semantics are nearly identical. Compare with Domenic Denicola’s Javascript example:

// C++ version of Domenic's Javascript promises example.
getTweetsFor("domenic") // returns a promise
  .then([](vector<Tweet> tweets) {
    auto shortUrls = parseTweetsForUrls(tweets);
    auto mostRecentShortUrl = shortUrls[0];
    // expandUrlUsingTwitterApi returns a promise
    return expandUrlUsingTwitterApi(mostRecentShortUrl);
  })
  .then(httpGet) // promise-returning function
  .then(
    [](string responseBody) {
      cout << "Most recent link text:" << responseBody << endl;
    },
    [](kj::Exception&& error) {
      cerr << "Error with the twitterverse:" << error << endl;
    }
  );

This is C++, but it is no more lines — nor otherwise more complex — than the equivalent Javascript. We’re doing several I/O operations, we’re doing them asynchronously, and we don’t have a huge unreadable mess of callback functions. Promises are based on event loop concurrency, which means you can perform concurrent operations with shared state without worrying about mutex locking — i.e., the Javascript model. (Of course, if you really want threads, you can run multiple event loops in multiple threads and make inter-thread RPC calls between them.)

More on C++ promises.

Python too

Jason has been diligently keeping his Python bindings up to date, so you can already use RPC there as well. The Python interactive interpreter makes a great debugging tool for calling C++ servers.

Up Next

Cap’n Proto is far from done, but working on it in a bubble will not produce ideal results. Starting after the holidays, I will be refocusing some of my time into an adjacent project which will be a heavy user of Cap’n Proto. I hope this experience will help me discover first hand the pain points in the current interface and keep development going in the right direction.

This does, however, mean that core Cap’n Proto development will slow somewhat (unless contributors pick up the slack! ;) ). I am extremely excited about this next project, though, and I think you will be too. Stay tuned!

-Kenton