Request for New Mexico Night Sky Perspective

Francois-Marie Patorni

Mar 10, 2019, 7:54:58 PM3/10/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com, joell...@gmail.com, jy...@kent.ac.uk, j...@fordice.net

Hello Capital City Astronomers!

See attached request from Joelle Young, she researching why people are trying to conserve the night sky in New Mexico.

I hope that we can all help, as Capital City Astronomers started just for this purpose. I cc this message to Joelle to expedite contacts.

I’ll contribute my own story below:

<<I moved to New Mexico in 2004 because of the night skies. Before this, I was based in Washington DC (member of the NOVAC astronomy club with Brent Archinal at the time), and had visited New Mexico a few times staying at Star Hill Inn (an inn for astronomers near Sapello-Las Vegas, it is now closed). This is how I learned about New Mexico and decided to retire here.>>

Cheers,
FM

From: <taas...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "j...@fordice.net" <j...@fordice.net>
Date: Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM
To: TAAS_Talk <taas...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [TAAS_Talk] Request for New Mexico Night Sky Perspective

Fellow Observers,

                Please respond to the request below with your valuable insights about New Mexico’s Night Sky.

Jim

************************************
Jim Fordice
TAAS President

Observe - Educate - Have Fun
pres...@taas.org
(505) 803-3640 (Cell)
*************************************

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lynne Olson <desir...@gmail.com>

Subject: Inquiry Received on Facebook

Date: March 10, 2019 at 4:03:53 PM MDT

To: James Fordice <j...@fordice.net>, Stephen Snider <slsni...@yahoo.com>, Robert Shipley <bobs...@gmail.com>, Doug LeGrand <vet...@gmail.com>

Dear Albuquerque Astronomical Society, My name is Joelle Young and I am currently an MSc Environmental Anthropology student at the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. For my dissertation, I am planning to research how and why people are trying to conserve the night sky in New Mexico. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with someone at TAAS and learn about their perspectives, experiences, and thoughts on the night sky and dark sky conservation. Please let me know if it is possible to be connected! I am also happy to send along an abstract of my research project if this would be helpful! Your time is much appreciated, Sincerely, Joelle Email: jy...@kent.ac.uk or joell...@gmail.com

BCJ

Mar 11, 2019, 1:36:24 AM3/11/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com, joell...@gmail.com, jy...@kent.ac.uk, j...@fordice.net
Hello Ms. Young,
May I call you Joelle?  My family has lived in New Mexico for several generation.  I have lived here for most of my life beyond a few odd gaps.  Years ago, about 1962, I moved up here, to Santa Fe, NM.  For years, before I got interested in astronomy, again, huge numbers of stars and the Milky Way was very visible in the sky. After getting reinterested in astronomy I got involved in the Santa Fe Astronomy club/group.  Since then, I have watched constellations and other groups of stars becoming more and more difficult to see.  Our guru managed to get a bill thru our legislature to help control spill and waste of light.  There has been some slight reduction of growth of light escape, but not enough.  He has gotten an update thru the politicians just recently, but there is still a long way to go and because of growth, it can't possibly keep up with the problem. Now I cannot see many of the stars I used to see from my backyard. Even out of town at places I have viewed from are not as good as they were.
One final issue is weather is getting more and more unstable and unpredictable, making viewing events more difficult.

Hope this helps.     Respectfully,

Brad C. Jones
35.672133deg N x -105.981998deg W
Frenchy's Field entrance (near me)
Prairie dog holes and ant hills.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Capital City Astronomy Club" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/capital-city-astronomy-club.

BCJ

Apr 5, 2019, 7:42:16 PM4/5/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club, John Remaly, Mark Rollins, sfs-m...@gwastro.org, William E Garcia, Judy Carnahan, XFam Brian Millar, Marianne Westen, ZCAP Kenneth C. Spicocchi, X Daniel Chaparro, Daniel Guy Lossing, ZX Jimmy Stapleton, ZCAP Smitty Clarke, Z WC Stephanie Garcia, XFam Jeff Ehret, Bonnie Coe, ZCAPARCHER Ernie and AL Braunschweiger, Manuel Huerta, Edward Tsyitee, XFam Jonathan Ehret, ZCAP Maj Joseph Perea, ZCAP Normand Johnson, XFam Todd Ehret, Edward S. Simpson, Ted and Kaye Laws, ZX Barbara Barstow

I just ran across this on the web and it is a pretty comprehensive article about the effects of light pollution or light spill or overlighting depending on how politically correct you wish to be.

Cheers,
Brad C. Jones

BCJ

Apr 19, 2019, 12:43:04 AM4/19/19
to joell...@gmail.com, Capital City Astronomy Club, LEE FINN via SFS-Members, Peter Lipscomb
Joelle,

The Santa Fe Astronomy Club is essentially a mailing list and when someone wants to do something, they just post their intentions or a 'Call for Scopes' and people respond as able or interested.  We can post a request for a coffee shop or living room or whatever it takes.
Santa Fe Star Gazers is a new group getting it's act together and has an outreach arm @ sfaa-g...@gwastro.org
or a general post @ SFS-M...@gwastro.org
We can work something out as time approaches.  Let us know if you want to try each group or try combining them.
Brad

Apr 22, 2019, 10:16:07 PM4/22/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club, John Remaly, Mark Rollins, Jeffrey Davis
Any interest in a meet and chat?  She will probably be scoped out by the time she gets here.

BCJ

Apr 22, 2019, 11:52:44 PM4/22/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club, John Remaly, Mark Rollins, Jeffrey Davis, Joan Henderson
Hi Joelle,
I guess you mean you might be in SAF June 3-16, but will be here May 19-21, so I am not quite sure what time period we should plan for a meet.
Peter,  do you have any input?
B.

BCJ

Apr 25, 2019, 2:26:04 PM4/25/19
to Joelle Young, Capital City Astronomy Club, Mark Rollins, John Remaly, Jeffrey Davis
Hello everybody,

I guess you are all aware of Joelle and her work on her dissertation/thesis for her Doctorate in social anthropology.  She is looking at astronomy/astronomers and how they relate to the sky and light pollution.  She would like to interview the aforementioned types as part of her work while she is visiting New Mexico and it would speak well for us to do what we can to help her.  We are working on the when and where.  I realize some of you are bi-organizational and will probably want to meet with Star Gazers because that is where you live.  I request input from Santa Fe members as to whether you have time during the dates Joelle listed, time of day and suggestions of where.  Possibly someplace like Cleopatra's where we can get Mediterranean food or just coffee, tea, soft drinks and multiple tables that can be pushed together if needed, or something else depending on interest. I also have a dining room table and cats.  Can we make a showing for Joelle?  Thank you all.

Brad C. Jones
Apr 25, 2019, 7:36:37 PM4/25/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
Brad ---------------  Sure, I can meet with Joelle sometime during those dates.

Jim

Francois-Marie Patorni

Apr 25, 2019, 9:12:02 PM4/25/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com

I’ll be happy to join in.

We could invite also an environmental journalist (Laura Paskus, Green Fire times, other?) who could write an article about light pollution.

FM

BCJ

Apr 26, 2019, 12:45:20 AM4/26/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Jim,
She is going to be meeting with the star gazers at some point, I believe, so you might want to be with that group out at El Dorado.  Of course, the way the SAF group has been acting lately, I may be the only one to meet her, here.
B.

BCJ

Apr 26, 2019, 1:11:20 AM4/26/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
That is an interesting idea FM, and I wonder if a doctoral candidate would feel about being subject of a reporters interview.  It might make a nice attachment to Joelles efforts and probably not unknown, but likely rare. I'm not familiar with the GF Times, but because of topic, they might be more interested in this interview. Reporter and/or Journal North?  I think I am going to CC this to Joelle.  Somehow, I kind of thought you were living down at El Dorado, now and would be with them, if Joelle gets to meet them.  If a reporter gets anything out of this, maybe they would be willing to email the article to Joelle.
Hello again, Joelle,
How would you feel about being part of an 'interview the interviewer' type situation?  If she is available, could Laura Paskus join in, or would you prefer more anonymity?
Just a thought and I understand completely if you would not be comfortable doing that or if it can even happen.

Brad

Peter Lipscomb

Apr 26, 2019, 1:31:06 PM4/26/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
Happy to meet. You all know my schedule is such a moving target. When we get a clearer idea of dates, I will try and find time. Tuesday Thursday and Saturday evenings are not good for me.