Opinion | Is the Evening Sky Doomed? - The New York Times

Tony Bonanno Photography

Aug 18, 2019, 2:02:00 PM8/18/19
to Anthony Bonanno
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/17/opinion/sunday/light-pollution.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Such a tragic situation.. the night sky, so well known since ancient times, has all but disappeared for 80% of the population.  New Mexico is one of the few areas in the US where the Milky Way is still visible.  But New Mexico has been lax.. lax in adopting ordinances and legislation that provides for lighting needs but also protects the night sky.  There is also very little enforcement of existing light pollution laws in New Mexico.  One of the worst offenders is PNM.  One of their facilities off of St. Francis Avenue is one of worst offenders in the State.  Having lived here 25 years (and being an amateur astronomer), I have witnessed significant deterioration of New Mexico's night skies.

MUCH more needs to be done...  Outreach, education, etc. is only part of the solution. Our legislative representatives (State and Federal) need to do much more.  Funding is essential to protect this "endangered resource"..  Santa Fe and the State of New Mexico should be looking at Tuscon as a model for effective night sky protection.

Tony

Francois-Marie Patorni

Aug 20, 2019, 2:04:39 PM8/20/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com, Anthony Bonanno

Agreed.

There are many public and private observatories in New Mexico, see  http://www.cleardarksky.com/csk/prov/New_Mexico_charts.html

This list has about 130 entries, some representing groups with hundreds of members. There might be a case to form a coalition to try to educate and put pressure on all County Commissioners and other elected persons. There might be a coalition already, still, it seems that the night sky community is fragmented.

FM

Peter Lipscomb

Aug 20, 2019, 2:39:34 PM8/20/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how many of you recall but I did have a bill introduced and heard in committee to strengthen the NM Night Sky Protection Act. I specifically called out glare and light trespass. Bill got tabled because of some imprecise language.

I worked with IDA and the Colorado Plateau team going in.

Lessons learned will direct my further efforts to do more coalition building. 4 months ago I spoke with Economic Development cabinet secretary Alicia Keyes about the night sky, 2 months ago, Tourism cabinet Secretary, Jen Paul Schoer and last week my state parks director Christy Tafoya.

Me and another advocate are reviewing the current IDA by laws and considering a chapter for NM. Years ago I did same but found the $$ share to IDA not OK.

A congressional delegation visiting Chaco in June heard about night sky problems related to extractive industries.

So, conversation regarding the night sky and action by myself and others is ongoing.

Senator Stefanics is on board. Once I have more info on actions we need you all to take, I will be in touch again.

Tony Bonanno Photography

Aug 20, 2019, 2:50:40 PM8/20/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club
Good to hear what you are continuing to do Peter.  I know you've been the key player in what progress we've made.  Look forward to your updates..

--
Click HERE to be notified about my upcoming Workshops and Fine Art Exhibitions

Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Santa Fe, New Mexico  USA  +1 505.466.0020
ASMP Professional Member

Peter Lipscomb

Aug 20, 2019, 3:43:01 PM8/20/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony great to hear from you. Not sure if you meant the CenturyLink yard off St Francis and Sawmill, but I met their electrician Scott Burson shortly after your call out a couple of years ago. And he DID re aim a number of lights at that facility. Improved glare impact for off ramp I 25 NB at exit 282.

I don't know how or if it changed much from Rabbit Road - the view that prompted your concern at the time. Did you ever get an after snap to compare with before image?

Tony Bonanno Photography

Aug 20, 2019, 4:33:03 PM8/20/19
to Capital City Astronomy Club
Hi Peter,

Wow, you are absolutely right.. I was wrong.  It was the CenturyLink lot that was such a light polluter, NOT PNM...

Thanks for pointing that out !

Tony

--
Click HERE to be notified about my upcoming Workshops and Fine Art Exhibitions

Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Santa Fe, New Mexico  USA  +1 505.466.0020
ASMP Professional Member

John Bau

Aug 21, 2019, 8:53:23 AM8/21/19
to capital-city-...@googlegroups.com
All your past and present work in this regard is greatly appreciated, Peter.