How to handle commands that hang on the remote end?

Haani Niyaz

May 15, 2016, 10:23:51 PM5/15/16
to Capistrano
We have a use case where we want to run a service tomcat stop command and if it hangs run a kill -9 <pid> command. I'm unaware of ways to handle this in Capistrano.
Has anyone solved a similar issue..? if so, can you please share methods, thanks.

Versions:
  • Ruby 2.1.1p76
  • Capistrano 3.4.0

Lee Hambley

May 18, 2016, 12:46:56 PM5/18/16
to Capistrano
Hi Haani,

It's been 48 since your post, so I'm not sure if it's still relevant, however if tomcat is taking a long time to respond, there's not much Capistrano can do to handle that.

The only real way is to make a command that backgrounds tomcat, collects it's PID and then signals it after a certain number of seconds, but it ends up being quite convoluted.

Bash's (assuming you're using the Bourne shell) FAQ #68 has a wealth of good information: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/068

Haani Niyaz

May 18, 2016, 6:01:06 PM5/18/16
to Capistrano
Thanks Lee. It does seem like something that should be handled by the tomcat init script so I've resorted to doing just that.