Do you know of an sms service with a nice api & clear documentation

De Wet Blomerus

May 22, 2015, 3:12:07 PM5/22/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
Would like some community advice.

I have used Twilio for one of my apps to receive phone calls here in South Africa and I really like how clear their documentation is, except they can't send & receive sms' here. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,
De Wet Blomerus

Website  //  Facebook  //  Instagram

Luke Randall

May 22, 2015, 3:44:42 PM5/22/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
We've had some success with BulkSMS. I wouldn't say their documentation is great, but it's been enough that we've been able to figure things out.

Jean le Roux

May 22, 2015, 4:51:26 PM5/22/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
Same here: BulkSMS.
--
Jean le Roux

phone: +27 84 606 5950
twitter: @elarex
skype: jeanlrx77

King'ori Maina

May 22, 2015, 11:48:52 PM5/22/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com

Check out Sinch ... They seem to have good documentation. I must admit I have never used them but South Africa is listed as one of the countries supported under its SMS service.

https://www.sinch.com

— King'ori Maina (kingori.co)

De Wet Blomerus

May 24, 2015, 1:47:12 PM5/24/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
​​Thanks to all who replied and especially to King'ori who suggested Sinch, thats what I'm going with for now.
  • Their website is not too cluttered
  • Their docs were easy enough for me to start sending sms' quickly
  • Their gem maintainers at least pretends to still know it exists
  • They are HALF THE PRICE OF ANY OTHER SMS GATEWAY I FOUND.
I hope someone else on here finds them helpful too.

Kind regards,
De Wet Blomerus

Website  //  Facebook  //  Instagram

King'ori Maina

May 24, 2015, 2:38:38 PM5/24/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com

You're welcome. Glad to help! :-)

— King'ori Maina (kingori.co)

ivor...@gmail.com

May 25, 2015, 3:24:36 AM5/25/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
I've used bulksms and clickatel in the past.

Luke Randall

May 25, 2015, 8:39:00 AM5/25/15
to cape-town-r...@googlegroups.com
I was really excited about Sinch (thanks for mentioning it King'ori), but on checking it out today I see it doesn't allow MO SMSs with a South African number. So yeah, we're stuck on BulkSMS for now it seems :/