Three day Countdown to Monday, January 23, 2023 Save Our Bay rally/Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel meeting

Diane TURCO

Jan 21, 2023, 12:13:29 PM1/21/23
to cape-dow...@googlegroups.com, boston-do...@googlegroups.com, madown...@googlegroups.com, pilgrim-coa...@googlegroups.com, capeco...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Sometimes this Constant Contact notice goes into the spam box as it is now doing on my own account. So this notice is being resent via regular email. It is also posted on Facebook Save Our Bay MA and Cape Downwinders, so please share widely.
Let's stand together to Halt Holtec! See you Monday, Diane
[carpool info on poster]

From: SAVE OUR BAY MA COALITION <ttu...@comcast.net>
Date: January 20, 2023 at 1:22:55 PM EST
To: ttu...@comcast.net
Subject: Three day Countdown to Monday, January 23, 2023 Save Our Bay rally/Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel meeting

HALT HOLTEC ILLEGAL PLAN

Henrietta Cosentino
League of Women Voters Plymouth

Mary Lampert
Pilgrim Watch

Diane Turco 508.776.3132
Cape Downwinders

Mark DeCristoforo
MA Seafood Collaborative

NOT ONE DROP!
WHAT:
Monday, January 23, 2023
HALT HOLTEC! Save Our Bay rally and Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel meeting
WHEN:
5:00 PM Rally on Town Hall front lawn [weather permitting]
6:00 PM Informational gathering at entrance to hall [weather permitting or inside]
6:30 PM NDCAP meeting Great Hall, Plymouth Town Hall
WHERE:
26 Court Street, Plymouth, MA

Senator Ed Markey held a historic special hearing in Plymouth last May months after the Environmental Protection Agency informed Holtec that discharging the water at Pilgrim is PROHIBITED. See Holtec CEO Kris Singh's response. Singh also has suggested the water is good enough to drink.
Keating and Singh clip

HOLTEC STILL PLANS TO DUMP OVER A MILLION GALLONS OF RADIOACTIVE WATER INTO CAPE COD BAY DESPITE OVERWHELMING PUBLIC OPPOSITION AND THE FACT THAT DUMPING IS ILLEGAL!

Cape Downwinders | P.O. Box 303, South Harwich, MA 02661
Unsubscribe {recipient's email}
Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice
Sent by ttu...@comcast.net powered by
Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

Diane TURCO

Jan 23, 2023, 8:58:53 AM1/23/23
to Pine duBois, cape-dow...@googlegroups.com, boston-do...@googlegroups.com, madown...@googlegroups.com, pilgrim-coa...@googlegroups.com, capeco...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pine,
With all due respect to your decades of fine environmental work, the fact remains that discharging radionuclides into Cape Cod Bay is illegal. Holtec signed an agreement with the MA Attorney Generals Office to comply with all MA regulations and laws. This contract includes current laws like the MA Oil and Hazardous Materials Release and Prevention Act and the Oceans Sanctuaries Act, both which prohibit radionuclides from being dumping into our protected bay.
It's illegal and Holtec has other legal methods to manage the wastewater.

Senator Markey, Senator Warren, Representative Keating, 21 towns on the Cape and Islands and the South Shore [via the ballot box] have said no dumping. Boards of Health and municipal  select boards have said no dumping period. Governor Healey has said there will no dumping.  Barnstable County Commissioners, Barnstable Assembly of Delegates, all our elected state senators and representatives in Plymouth, Barnstable, and Dukes counties have stated no dumping.

Save Our Bay MA coalition includes a wide range of citizen groups trying to protect our Commons: real estate, indigenous, fishing, religious, environmental, and others opposed to the dumping.

In addition, the EPA and DEP have said the dumping is prohibited without a new NPDES permit which, for a year now, Holtec has denied compliance. And that is addressing only nonradioactive materials. Radioactive and chemical materials are still illegal to dump in protected areas in the state of Massachusetts.

Until Holtec removed dumping into the bay as part of their plan, their actions are illegal.
Again, I recognize your decades long excellent environmental work and advocacy. However, you stance on this issue is very puzzling.

sincerely,
Diane
On 01/22/2023 10:08 AM Pine duBois <pi...@jonesriver.org> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I hope you understand that no water will be released anytime soon. Holtec is applying for a permit modification, which will take, in my experience,  many years for EPA to process. In the meantime Holtec has said they will contain the water in the torus, once they are finished using it—but they are sill using it to shield the dangerous and necessary work of cutting up the reactor internals and removing other parts of the energy production infrastructure, The torus is about 60 feet underground, under the reactor building. My fear is that this storage option will delay decommissioning of the property—which is a problem due to sea level rise and the storms we know will come. I worry about your negative opinion of Holtec and your apparent determination to consider the company a villain.  I don’t share that opinion. Having spent time and energy talking with them and walking around the facility, I have come to respect their approach and determination to do a good job—not just for them but for all of us. Many of the people working there, live here and have for a long time.  They do care.

We have a collective problem that Holtec did not create. Like it or not, the people of Massachusetts and Plymouth are the reason there are contaminants on site. Even those of us who fought so long to close Pilgrim because it was a bad performing and environmentally damaging facility—even we used the power it generated, and we own the problem. We must fix it. That is why I serve on the NDCAP, to fix it.

Yes, Holtec is there to make money, pay their employees and contractors, and get the job done well so they can stay in business. The biggest problem we have, in my opinion, is the fuel on the hill that will be stranded for a very long time if we can’t get around to dealing with it. I don’t think we have a very long time. We need to address it. We need to put our hearts and minds together to come up with some real, just and practical solutions that will help us save this planet from mutually assured destruction.We’re stuck on a million gallons of yet to be treated water, we need to move on to the million years of hazardous, radically dangerous material.

Pine duBois, Exec. Dir.
Jones River Watershed Association
Jones River Landing
55 Landing Rd.
Kingston, MA 02364
www.jonesriver.org
781-424-0353 (m)
781-585-2322 (0)

Save the River, Save the World!
pi...@jonesriver.org

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Pilgrim Coalition group. To post to this group, send email to pilgrim-coa...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to pilgrim-coalition...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/pilgrim-coalition-forum?hl=en
---

scarpen...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2023, 11:21:35 AM1/23/23
to pi...@jonesriver.org, Diane Turco, cape-dow...@googlegroups.com, boston-do...@googlegroups.com, madown...@googlegroups.com, pilgrim-coa...@googlegroups.com, capeco...@googlegroups.com
Well said, Diane

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 23, 2023, at 09:29, Pine duBois <pi...@jonesriver.org> wrote:

They will not be discharging the water—we need them to put it on the hill not in the torus. Listen to the progress. EPA has required a permit modification.

Listen to the facts. The bay is polluted and in danger due to Nitrogen, now from septic discharges and wastewater discharges from Plymouth municipal treatment plant and residential bad behavior with failed septics, pesticides, fertilizers and all the other industries—not to mention the sand an gravel loss in the region. Your focus on only Holtec is, in my opinion, slowing progress not advancing it. We need them to study the bay not hire more lawyers and lobbyists . Will all you folks support the new DEP regs on Nitrogen pollution of the bay—the real reason for the deadzone--or pretend there is only one cause. Deadline to comment is next Monday

[...]

Love Albrecht Howard

Jan 23, 2023, 4:33:51 PM1/23/23
to scarpen...@gmail.com, pi...@jonesriver.org, Diane Turco, cape-dow...@googlegroups.com, boston-do...@googlegroups.com, madown...@googlegroups.com, pilgrim-coa...@googlegroups.com, capeco...@googlegroups.com

The focus is on Holtec because the issue under discussion here *is* Holtec and their plan to take the cheap way out by looking to dump toxins and radioactive water in to the Bay.  This is illegal.  And, I would contend, immoral.

True enough that the Bay has and is receiving all kinds of other pollutants.  And has for centuries.  This is all the more reason to prevent additional discharges of pollutants in to the fragile environment.

It’s long past time that consideration for the environment comes FIRST.