Fwd: [decomm_wkg] ACTION ALERT! Sign-on Letter Urging Arizona Gov. Hobbs to Close the Pinyon Plain Uranium Mine

Diane Turco

Jan 20, 2024, 4:42:45 PMJan 20
to cape-dow...@googlegroups.com, Boston Downwinders, madown...@googlegroups.com, Pilgrim-Coa...@googlegroups.com
Please share to stop mining in NM on native lands!

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Leona Morgan <decom...@lists.riseup.net>
Date: January 20, 2024 at 4:19:07 PM EST
To: Haul No! <stopcan...@gmail.com>
Subject: [decomm_wkg] ACTION ALERT! Sign-on Letter Urging Arizona Gov. Hobbs to Close the Pinyon Plain Uranium Mine

Relatives, Friends and Colleagues,

I am sad to announce that we are under attack at the Grand Canyon. On Monday, January 8, 2024, Energy Fuels (EF) started new uranium mining at the Pinyon Plain mine (formerly Canyon Mine) located inside the recently designated national monument. Energy Fuels has started extracting and stockpiling low-grade uranium ore, working toward high-grade ore.

As a co-founder of Haul No! and organizer, we have been educating and spreading awareness about the mine since 2016, and we will continue working to inform and to inspire action. With the price of uranium being the highest it has been since 2007 and Biden's push to triple nuclear power by 2050, we know this may be the first in a possible new wave of uranium threats.

The mine is about 4.5 miles from Red Butte, which is held sacred by local and regional Indigenous Peoples and identified as a Traditional Cultural Property. The Grand Canyon region is part of many Indigenous Nations' homelands and timeless worldviews, but is also a national and global treasure.

Beyond support and beyond sign-on's, we are asking for others to help to take on this fight! As of Haul No!'s last monitoring report (Friday, Jan. 19, 2024), it appears they are actively working, but have not started transport to the White Mesa Mill in southeast Utah.

Haul No! has the utmost respect for the leadership of the Havasupai in their fight against this mine (see attached) and we support collective efforts working toward the same goal: TO SHUT DOWN PINYON PLAIN MINE. Haul No! also supports the local fight against the White Mesa Mill by the Ute Mountain Ute. Our concerns regarding new uranium transport primarily through Diné, Hopi and Ute communities focus on the mine, but with the understanding that the mine is a symptom of the larger nuclear problem.

The following Sign-On Letter is the first of many ACTION ALERTS that we will be sending out via our website and social media. Please consider signing on your organization(s) and sharing on your various channels and whatever else your organization can do to help stop this! This letter will be open until Monday, January 22, 2024, 12pm Mountain time (2pm Eastern).

FORM to Sign-on to Letter Urging Arizona Gov. Hobbs to Close the Pinyon Plain Uranium Mine:

LETTER to Governor Hobbs of Arizona

You can support Haul No! by making a donation (https://haulno.com/donate/) and by SHARING THIS FORM TO SIGN-ON and any info from our website and social media.  :)

Thank you so much!

Leona Morgan
Haul No! Organizer

Statement-The Threat Is Real 1.11.2024 approved.pdf