February Meeting Ideas

1 view

Mike Erdely

Feb 22, 2014, 6:00:27 PM2/22/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Hey, guys,

Is anyone interested in a February meeting this month in Columbia?
Got ideas for topics?

It's been a busy month for me, so I haven't had much time to think about CapBUG.

-ME

Jason Crawford

Feb 22, 2014, 6:15:14 PM2/22/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

I would go but don't have any topic ideas right now. I've been messing with the new signify utility a lot and could go over some of that next month but I've been too busy this month to think about much.

Patrick Thomasson

Feb 22, 2014, 7:22:59 PM2/22/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I can't make it this Thursday, but if you guys meet, have fun!
PT

Sent from my iPhone

outro pessoa

Feb 23, 2014, 12:51:12 PM2/23/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Getting there is a small problem for me- limited funds; but, I do have a few ideas.

1. Porting WebRTC and other Google software to FreeBSD. I have started on this process.
a. Using grep -R -E -H -o "$PATTERN" "$PATH" on a Linux system then doing the same on FreeBSD allows you to see what file is "exactly similar."
b. The code can be cleaned up with Clang and then sent back to Google. Comparative changes between FreeBSD and the Linux & Mac sources can be done. Whatever is not system specific can be applied as a patch/diff to the sources.
c. Even though it may seem far-fetched or silly right now, a kFreeBSD port of Chromium/ChromeOS would be a good idea. Developers would have two environments for building and comparing. Aurelian Jarno- not sure, okay?- used a libc implementation to make Debian/kFreeBSD work.

Using a BSD in the schools and community as a viable alternative.
a. I have worked with people who have limited resources.
b.  Many students- and non-students- are willing to learn a new system.
c. Given an opportunity and an environment that is positive and productive, a lot can be done.

I'm am going to show you what can be accomplished with only the desire to improve things. You see, I am poor and homeless- now keep this in mind.
I've setup an audio recording system with FreeBSD, helped port audio and other packages, work with the FreeBSD ppc mailing list, got the GNOME and VINUX groups to work together, helped a university IT person with the basic understanding and setup of a Linux+BSD system, and other things. I ask no money for anything that I do.

Before you answer, think. I am very limited in what I have but not in what I can do or accomplish.

Johan Huldtgren

Feb 23, 2014, 10:13:34 PM2/23/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
> Is anyone interested in a February meeting this month in Columbia?

if there's a meeting I'll be there.

> Got ideas for topics?
>
> It's been a busy month for me, so I haven't had much time to think about CapBUG.

it's been a rather busy month for me as well. i never got around to
talking about beets
last month when we were discussing media systems, so I can always offer
that, but it
would just be filler, not an actual talk.

.jh

Mike Erdely

Feb 23, 2014, 10:29:49 PM2/23/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me. If there's nothing else, let's talk about
disgusting vegetables.

-ME