Introduction

Shawn Webb

Oct 7, 2014, 1:18:11 AM10/7/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Though I've lived in Columbia for two years now, I'm new to CapBUG, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Shawn Webb and I currently work for Cisco. I was introduced to FreeBSD in my teens and have been a fan ever since.

I absolutely love programming, especially security engineering. A few years back, I wrote a tool for Linux that I later ported to FreeBSD called libhijack. It abuses ptrace, creating an API that makes runtime process infection extremely simple on those platforms. I spoke about it at Defcon, BSDCan, Thotcon, and a few other places. I coimplemented Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) for FreeBSD with an awesome dude from Hungary named Oliver Pinter. He and I cofounded the HardenedBSD project.

I have quite a few years of professional public speaking experience. I love to give presentations. I used to hate it, but I've come to really enjoy it. I owe my whole life to opensource, so speaking is one way I can give back to the community. I just got back from EuroBSDCon with my wife. I spoke about implementing ASLR there. I've spoken at the past few BSDCans as well. I'll soon be giving a presentation at the Baltimore hackerspace UnallocatedSpace about "Writing Your First [Malicious] Kernel Module for FreeBSD." If CapBUG is interested in having me present, just let me know and I'd be happy to (schedule permitting, of course).

Anyways, enough about me. Thank you to those who run CapBUG and have provided us BSD users a local community.

Thanks,

Shawn

Mike Erdely

Oct 7, 2014, 3:22:57 PM10/7/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Welcome, Shawn. CapBUG had sort of died down over the summer and I
haven't had time to get something together. If you're up for giving a
talk on Thursday, October 30 @ 6:30 PM at my office in Columbia,
that'd be great (9130 Guilford Road, Suite 100).

I'll send out announcements and we could even post to some of the *BSD
mailing lists.

Let me know.

outro pessoa

Oct 7, 2014, 3:48:54 PM10/7/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Shawn Webb <shawn...@hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
Hey All,

Though I've lived in Columbia for two years now, I'm new to CapBUG, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Shawn Webb

Shawn Webb introduces himself on the web while he works on the web. Maybe we should call you SpiderMan.
and I currently work for Cisco.
Ugh. Cisco is raunchy tasting cheap wine. I'd rather work for peanuts.
I was introduced to FreeBSD in my teens and have been a fan ever since.

I absolutely love programming, especially security engineering. A few years back, I wrote a tool for Linux that I later ported to FreeBSD called libhijack. It abuses ptrace, creating an API that makes runtime process infection extremely simple on those platforms. I spoke about it at Defcon, BSDCan, Thotcon, and a few other places. I coimplemented Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) for FreeBSD with an awesome dude from Hungary named Oliver Pinter. He and I cofounded the HardenedBSD project.

That's pretty fucking cool. No shit. Have you tried building and using the same tools on RISC processors? You may get better results.

I have quite a few years of professional public speaking experience. I love to give presentations. I used to hate it, but I've come to really enjoy it. I owe my whole life to opensource, so speaking is one way I can give back to the community. I just got back from EuroBSDCon with my wife. I spoke about implementing ASLR there. I've spoken at the past few BSDCans as well. I'll soon be giving a presentation at the Baltimore hackerspace UnallocatedSpace about "Writing Your First [Malicious] Kernel Module for FreeBSD." If CapBUG is interested in having me present, just let me know and I'd be happy to (schedule permitting, of course).

Just as long as you don't bring any of that damned Cisco, we will be alright, ya know?

Anyways, enough about me. Thank you to those who run CapBUG and have provided us BSD users a local community.

Thanks,

Shawn

And thank you, Spiderman, for saving the day from those nasty motherfucking hackers, ya know?

Devon H. O'Dell

Oct 7, 2014, 7:52:30 PM10/7/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
There are trolls on this list now?

Julian Zottl

Oct 7, 2014, 7:54:56 PM10/7/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Funny, I had the same reaction!

Shawn, welcome and thank you for your sizable contribution to FreeBSD!

Julian

Sent from my iProduct, cause I'm iSpecial.... But not in that ishort bus kind of way...

Shawn Webb

Oct 8, 2014, 9:45:05 AM10/8/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay. I've got an extremely busy October, unfortunately. My wife is having shoulder surgery on the 24th. Would November be an option?

Thanks,

Shawn

Mike Erdely

Oct 8, 2014, 10:38:11 AM10/8/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
His other posts have been weird, but not outright trolling like this one.

He's now moderated.

Mike Erdely

Oct 8, 2014, 10:39:41 AM10/8/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Yikes! Shoulder surgery! I've had two of those. Not fun.

We usually combine our November/December meetings since people travel
for the holidays. How about December 11?

-ME

Shawn Webb

Oct 8, 2014, 10:43:36 AM10/8/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
December 11 sounds great.

Jason Crawford

Oct 8, 2014, 11:35:31 AM10/8/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

Perfect way to celebrate Germany and Italy declaring war on us!