Nov/Dec 2013 CapBUG Columbia Meeting: bhyve

Mike Erdely

Dec 16, 2013, 1:41:55 PM12/16/13
to lopsa-us-b...@lists.lopsa.org, cap...@googlegroups.com
This time of year, CapBUG combines its November and December meetings
for earlier in December. This month, we are meeting at Message
Systems (http://goo.gl/maps/4KDnp) in Columbia on Thursday, December
19 at 6:30 PM EDT.

Michael Dexter will give a demonstration of bhyve, the BSD hypervisor
on FreeSBD. bhyve is a legacy-free hypervisor that relies on modern
processor features such as Extended Page Tables and this is very small
in size. bhyve can run any recent version of FreeBSD plus has
experimental Linux and OpenBSD support. You can learn more about bhyve
at: bhyve.org

Biography: Michael has used BSD Unix systems since January of 1991 and
wrote his first FreeBSD jail management system in 2005. Michael is the
Director of US Operations for the ScaleEngine content delivery network
and in his spare time edits Call For Testing, a BSD technical journal.
Michael lives with his wife, daughter and son in Portland, Oregon.

Please join us for the meeting at Message Systems
(http://www.messagesystems.com/) and then for dinner and drinks
afterwards at Victoria Gastro Pub (http://www.victoriagastropub.com/).

John Wittkamper

Dec 18, 2013, 9:17:01 AM12/18/13
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I hope to attend.

Jason Crawford

Dec 18, 2013, 10:03:03 AM12/18/13
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I should be there.

Patrick Thomasson

Dec 18, 2013, 3:25:18 PM12/18/13
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I can't make it this month, but Happy Holidays everyone!
PT

Jason Crawford

Jan 3, 2014, 11:14:23 PM1/3/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I know this seems random but I remember the last meeting we were talking about Hypervisors and whether or not they increase security. And I mentioned some registers on processors now that the OS cannot modify, but I couldn't remember what they were called. I just remembered it now reading about some other low level security stuff; they're called SMM registers and I believe they're limited to Intel processors. It's a doubled-edged sword, in that if you can install a known good hypervisor on the low level chips, you can lock down your system that even your hacked-OS can't affect. However, if malware gets in there... time to get a new motherboard. Here's an article from the malware side of things since that's more down my alley...

http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=65&id=7

Intel is scary...