January Columbia Meeting Ideas

Mike Erdely

Jan 3, 2014, 9:46:24 AM1/3/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Hey, guys,

If you missed Michael Dexter's talk on Bhyve, you missed a good one.
Unfortunately, there were no slides or a recording.

What would you guys like to talk about for January's meeting? Our
regularly scheduled day/time would be Jan 30 @ 6:30 PM in Columbia.

-ME

Mike Erdely

Jan 27, 2014, 11:23:19 PM1/27/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

Nobody is interested in meeting this month?

Jason Crawford

Jan 28, 2014, 12:05:20 AM1/28/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

I've got my short talk about putting Ubuntu on my chromebook. Won't take too much time but can help with another talk. No slides just hands on.

Mike Erdely

Jan 28, 2014, 7:21:45 AM1/28/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

That works for me. See you Thursday.

Who else is coming?

Johan Huldtgren

Jan 28, 2014, 9:16:43 PM1/28/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

.jh

On 1/28/14, 7:21 AM, Mike Erdely wrote:
> That works for me. See you Thursday.
>
> Who else is coming?
>
> On Jan 28, 2014 12:05 AM, "Jason Crawford" <jasonrc...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jasonrc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I've got my short talk about putting Ubuntu on my chromebook. Won't
> take too much time but can help with another talk. No slides just
> hands on.
>
> On Jan 27, 2014 11:23 PM, "Mike Erdely" <mi...@erdelynet.com
> <mailto:mi...@erdelynet.com>> wrote:
>
> Nobody is interested in meeting this month?
>
> On Jan 3, 2014 9:46 AM, "Mike Erdely" <mi...@erdelynet.com
> <mailto:mi...@erdelynet.com>> wrote:
>
> Hey, guys,
>
> If you missed Michael Dexter's talk on Bhyve, you missed a
> good one.
> Unfortunately, there were no slides or a recording.
>
> What would you guys like to talk about for January's
> meeting? Our
> regularly scheduled day/time would be Jan 30 @ 6:30 PM in
> Columbia.
>
> -ME
>
> --

Patrick Thomasson

Jan 28, 2014, 11:22:22 PM1/28/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Me too
PT

Sent from my iPhone

Gareth

Jan 29, 2014, 6:07:12 AM1/29/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
I should be able to make it.
GD

Mike Erdely

Jan 30, 2014, 9:22:30 AM1/30/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Great! And, if this helps anyone make their decision as to whether to
come tonight or not:

I will probably give a short talk (if we have time) about two pieces
of software I'm running at home: pyTivo (which lets me copy files two
and from my Tivo) and minidlna (a DLNA-based media server that lets me
serve music, video, and pictures from my OpenBSD file server to my PS3
or Android devices. I won't be able to demo actually watching the
media, but I'll be able to show the software itself and in the case of
pyTivo, the web interface.

pyTivo is a port that I am currently working on in OpenBSD and haven't
even submitted to ports@. minidlna is already a port (package) in
OpenBSD.

-ME

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Gareth <gareth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should be able to make it.
> GD

Jason Crawford

Jan 30, 2014, 9:25:09 AM1/30/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com

I use minidlna as well and its definitely a good tool. That TiVo stuff sounds nice maybe I'll be able to build a full OpenBSD media server now...

Mike Erdely

Jan 30, 2014, 9:26:58 AM1/30/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! We can talk about how you deal with adding files to your media
directory. Currently, I restart the daemon with "-R".

Johan Huldtgren

Jan 30, 2014, 10:23:00 AM1/30/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com, cap...@googlegroups.com
in the spirit of a media server discussion I can talk (briefly) about beets[1] which is a media library management program.

[1] http://beets.radbox.org

.jh
---
Sent from my iPhone

Jason Crawford

Feb 9, 2014, 12:21:50 PM2/9/14
to cap...@googlegroups.com
So here's various links that I've used when hacking my Chromebook.

This was the first link I found on it, watching the video and all.
http://www.johnnythegeek.com/installing-ubuntu-12-04-on-acer-c7-chromebook-complete-guide/

This lets you install 64bit 12.04 on a 32bit chromeos chromebook. From here using update-manager (do-release-upgrade on command line) to go from 12.04 to 12.10 to 13.04 to 13.10.
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.ca/2012/04/chrubuntu-1204-now-with-double-bits.html

This script will install whichever version of Ubuntu you specify, but sticks to what Chromeos returns for `uname -m`
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.ca/2013/05/chrubuntu-one-script-to-rule-them-all_31.html

Various developer notes about chromebooks, and the specific one I demonstrated.
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c7-chromebook

Open-BIOS/firmware from FSF for chromebooks that you can flash to completely open them to any operating system. If you brick your chromebook you need to use a JTAG to reflash it back. Make sure to backup your old firmware first...
http://www.coreboot.org/Chromebooks

Exact model Chromebook I have.
Acer C710-2834

How to update your ChromeOS kernel from 3.4.0 to 3.8.0, and I can even include some config updates to allow you to use the kvm kernel modules for kernel-level hypervisors (disabled in the kernel by default).
http://superuser.com/questions/583269/chrubuntu-acer-how-to-load-kernel-3-8-0-16-instead-3-4-0