Using your cell phone as a car key

Alan Karp

Sep 7, 2022, 12:17:02 AM9/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, <friam@googlegroups.com>
More and more cars are supporting this, so I wondered how you could let someone else drive your car without giving up your phone.  At least one car, the Kia Niro EV, lets you delegate with a text message. The Hyundai version says, "you can share car keys for a limited time or allow only certain features. For example, it is possible to send a delivery man your digital key that can only open the trunk so that he/she can put the package in it, or lend a car to your friend for only a limited time."

These sound like capabilities to me, but I haven't been able to find any details.

--------------
Alan Karp

๏̯͡๏ Jasvir Nagra

Sep 7, 2022, 12:26:20 AM9/7/22
to fr...@googlegroups.com, cap-...@googlegroups.com
There are several standards bodies - https://carconnectivity.org/
Apple also has a thing called Car Key. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234

As mentioned in call, they're much less like caps than you'd imagine.

--
Jasvir Nagra

Alan Karp

Sep 7, 2022, 1:06:13 AM9/7/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
It seems a little capability-like, since you send something to the other person's phone rather than entering some information in your car.  On the other hand, I found one article that said you could only share with 4 others because the car stores private keys.  The other thing not capability-like is that nobody mentions sharing a shared key.

I've started reading the (500 page) spec.  Thanks for the link.

Jonathan Frederickson

Sep 8, 2022, 9:57:14 PM9/8/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, fr...@googlegroups.com
If it’s not a capability, it should be (and feels like a missed opportunity). Shared car keys are after all one of the most common examples to demonstrate capabilities!

On Sep 7, 2022, at 12:26 AM, ๏̯͡๏ Jasvir Nagra <j...@nagras.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cap-talk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cap-talk/CAK1HgMi5eJEyeFrmXDxEUQ-pykN9VKkw%2B28G%2BVJzS_Dt19U%2B%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.