Google Fuchsia

Charlie Landau

Jan 2, 2022, 12:53:23 PM1/2/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
I see reports that Fuchsia, the new OS from Google, is capability-based.
Has anyone here looked into it?

William ML Leslie

Jan 2, 2022, 6:43:14 PM1/2/22
to cap-talk
We've discussed it a couple of times, most recently here:

Some points:

* Yep, it's a capability system.  The components are configured with lidl files, which are similar to capros/coyotos idl files.
* The core is free software, and there is a workstation build you can run.
* Venkatesh Srinivas, who worked on Coyotos, is a regular contributor.
* Googlers on this list are excited about it, it looks really promising.
* The IPC model is deeply asynchronous.
* It doesn't have quite the same focus on reliability that capros, coyotos, and seL4 have, in that not all kernel resources must be accounted for by user programs.
It's great to see a large tech company take system security seriously, and I hope that Fuchsia will do a lot to reduce the magnitude of cybercrime, especially ransomware and persistent threats.

--
William ML Leslie

William ML Leslie

Jan 2, 2022, 6:46:36 PM1/2/22
to cap-talk
Oh, also, I pushed an update to the capos cross-env yesterday to handle build failures with the latest boost, if you missed that.

--
William ML Leslie

Charlie Landau

Jan 3, 2022, 10:16:01 AM1/3/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On 1/2/22 3:43 PM, William ML Leslie wrote:
We've discussed it a couple of times, most recently here:

Ah, thanks for that pointer. My search for that failed because Fuchsia was misspelled in that thread.

Bill Frantz

Jan 3, 2022, 4:56:53 PM1/3/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On 1/3/22 at 10:15 AM, cha...@charlielandau.com (Charlie
Landau) wrote:

>On 1/2/22 3:43 PM, William ML Leslie wrote:
>>We've discussed it a couple of times, most recently here:
>>
>>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cap-talk/f2928d13-7c3f-4cd6-92a6-cf6ea6537a5dn%
>40googlegroups.com
>><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cap-talk/f2928d13-7c3f-4cd6-92a6-cf6ea6537a5dn%
>40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>Ah, thanks for that pointer. My search for that failed because
>Fuchsia was misspelled in that thread.

As someone who has severe spelling problems, I sympathise.

When naming a system, consider the spelling problem. Of course,
the Eros system had a different problem when using a general
search engine to find information about it. :-)

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz | If I lose, you’ll never | Periwinkle
(408)348-7900 | see me again. - Donald | 150 Rivermead
Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com | Trump, September 19, 2020 | Peterborough,
NH 03458

Jonathan S. Shapiro

Jan 16, 2022, 10:31:37 PM1/16/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 1:56 PM Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com> wrote:
Of course,
the Eros system had a different problem when using a general
search engine to find information about it. :-)

Cheers - Bill

Sigh. Why don’t people understand operating systems are sexy? When I think of the number of times I slept with (or at least fell asleep over) that code…

In my defense, the name largely predated web porn. Supporting my conviction, Coyote turns out to be a prostitute’s union and the # in bitc# looks distressingly like an ‘h’. Which prompts me to paraphrase Alan Bomberger:

“Naming: a concept that used to mean something that really should be taken over by marketing.”

Jonathan

Mark S. Miller

Jan 16, 2022, 11:33:57 PM1/16/22
to cap-...@googlegroups.com
Eros does what Unix can't ;)

Valerio Bellizzomi

Jan 17, 2022, 6:22:00 AM1/17/22
to cap-talk
I still hope to see Eros/Coyotos development restart like a rising phoenix.