Capability revocation

Alan Karp

May 18, 2023, 2:10:16 PM5/18/23
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, <friam@googlegroups.com>
I made a comment in the Distributed Web Node (DWN) discussion list that revocation is something that is better to think about earlier in the design process than later.  Since I opened my big yap, I've not been tasked with explaining what I mean.

I think I should start with the various options.  I came up with
  1. No revocation; rely on short-lived capabilities.
  2. Revocation is a specific permission.
  3. The holder of a capability can revoke it.
  4. The delegator of a capability can revoke any direct delegations.
  5. The delegator of a capability can revoke any delegation deeper in the chain.
  6. For certificate-based capabilities, revoke the public key it's issued to.
What did I miss?

--------------
Alan Karp

Mark S. Miller

May 18, 2023, 2:38:07 PM5/18/23
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, <friam@googlegroups.com>
Is Caretaker, Membrane, Horton all covered by #2?

  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Alan Karp

May 18, 2023, 7:01:33 PM5/18/23