Course Navigation External Tool - changing visibility?

Kumi Hagimoto

Mar 13, 2015, 11:59:22 AM3/13/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have a new LTI tool set up as a course navigation and have a question about its configuration.

The tool currently is enabled by default for admins, so any admins or Teacher can see and use it.  One can go into the course "Settings" --> "Navigation" and drag this tool to the disabled area to hide from students.  When I do that, the tool disappears from the course navigation instead of being light-grayed out.  Is there an external tools configuration that will make this behave like other non-external tools menus?

(Just FYI - as I said above, this tool is only visible to admins, so students will not see it.  But I'm anticipating some instructors still wanting to "hide" it from student view, and as a result, hide it from their own view and we get tickets asking us where the tool went!)

Thanks!
Kumi

Brad Humphrey

Mar 16, 2015, 3:28:36 PM3/16/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to cause LTI navigation links show as disabled instead of active or to prevent teachers from disabling LTI navigation elements.

--

---

Kumi Hagimoto

Mar 16, 2015, 4:34:50 PM3/16/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Brad.
We'll just keep this in mind when we get inquiries about missing course nav tools!
Kumi

Jared Chapman

Aug 20, 2016, 3:50:24 PM8/20/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Similar question,

It seems like I used to be able to set viability in the xml to admin or members (I can't remember which) and have the navigation link not show up in student view but remain visible for teachers. But now I can't seem to hide the link from students.

Is hiding a link from students but allowing teachers to see it possible?

Jared

k...@aspiredu.com

Aug 21, 2016, 11:09:56 AM8/21/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi Jared,

I think this line in the xml is what you're looking for.

<lticm:property name="visibility">admins</lticm:property>

Note that the link will not be 'greyed out' like others that are hidden to students, but the link will only be visible to instructors and admins.

Jared Chapman

Aug 25, 2016, 10:51:52 AM8/25/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Ah, thank you! I was missing the "s" on Admins!