Integrating Clever with an Open-source Instance of Canvas LMS

Belal Sweileh

Aug 17, 2016, 4:38:57 PM8/17/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hello,

I deployed an open source instance of Canvas on a Cloud hosting account for my school and am trying to integrate it with Clever (www.clever.com). Could you kindly guide me as to how to do this?

So far, I contacted the Clever team and I am now signed up for a school district account (as an administrator). When trying to add and setup the "Canvas" application to be launched from within the Clever Portal, I get messages about "Pending Application Approval" and how "Shared users cannot access this application until the application launches your district". Moreover, it mentions that I must "Work with the Canvas team to schedule a date to launch your district" (please see attached screenshots). I am not too sure how much this applies to me since my instance of Canvas LMS is open source. Nonetheless, I would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

----------

Moreover, I have successfully imported some sample/test SIS data as CSV files and all seems good. My version of Canvas is the April 23, 2016 Production Release (which seems to support choosing Clever for authentication). I am just wondering how I can have Canvas communicate with Clever so that:

1) The "Canvas" application is no longer in the "Pending Application Approval" or "Setting up" status within the Clever portal.

2) I can click on the "Canvas" app within the Clever portal to log into my Canvas instance

3) I can visit my Canvas instance and authenticate via Clever credentials.

I had mentioned my case to the Clever team and they suggested that I contact the Canvas implementation team at Instructure. Please advise. Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Belal
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.01.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.01.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.25.42 PM.png

Graham Ballantyne

Aug 17, 2016, 4:48:54 PM8/17/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there's a Clever plugin in Canvas that needs to be enabled and configured. Go to https://yourcanvas/plugins/clever.

--

---

Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

Belal Sweileh

Aug 17, 2016, 4:50:47 PM8/17/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Graham! I'll give it a shot.

Best regards,
Belal

Sent from my iPhone

joe hobson

Aug 10, 2017, 12:15:01 AM8/10/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Belal,

Did you ever get this working, and if so, what route did you take? I'm working with some schools that want to do this, but it looks like Clever only directly integrates with Instructure hosted Canvas, not open-source/self-hosted. Or at least not without significant development work, and not something Clever is too familiar with.

Would be interested in hearing your experience with it. ... .joe

Belal Sweileh

Aug 10, 2017, 1:46:48 PM8/10/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

It is exactly as you said. The Clever team wasn't able to get it working for us. We have abandoned that idea for now.

Best regards,
Belal

Sent from my iPhone