1D Flame: Calculation of slope and curve

Christian Gossrau

Feb 23, 2021, 12:45:29 PM2/23/21
to Cantera Users' Group
Hello all,

I am currently analysing the process of grid refinement with the corresponding values ratio, slope and curve. While ratio is self-explanatory, I am stumbling over understanding the detailed formulation of slope/curve.

The definition of slope is:
Slope - maximum difference in value between two adjacent points, scaled by the maximum difference in profile (0.0 < slope < 1.0). Adds points in regions with high slope.

Also, when analysing the two parameters in refine.cpp, the variable value is used without further indication of the origin.

I am not quite sure which values (e.g. velocity, temperature,...) are focused on when forming the maximum difference.
Does anyone have a deeper insight into the formulation and can give me a hint?

Best regards Chris

Bryan W. Weber

Feb 23, 2021, 1:51:04 PM2/23/21
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi Chris,

I believe all of the values in the state vector are considered when choosing where to add grid points. If you look at the typical output from a simulation, you'll see something like "adding grid points to resolve T, H2, N2, OH, ....."

Best,
Bryan

Christian Gossrau

Feb 24, 2021, 5:14:09 AM2/24/21