Question about lithium_ion_battery example

John D

Sep 25, 2022, 11:05:30 AM9/25/22
to Cantera Users' Group
Hello everyone:

I was looking at the lithium_ion_battery.ipynb example
and I see that the Cathode total active material surface area S_ca = 1.1167 is not used.
Both the anode and cathode currents in the helper functions are defined as

anode_current = r_elec * ct.faraday * S_an
cathode_current = r_elec * ct.faraday * S_an

Should the cathode_current be r_elec * ct.faraday * S_ca?

Thanks

John

S. DeCaluwe

Oct 19, 2022, 12:26:42 PM10/19/22
to Cantera Users' Group
Thanks, John.  You are correct, simple typo.  I just submitted a pull request to fix it.

(note that it does not actually impact the results in that example, since they are all at equilibrium, but if one wanted to extend this code to look at actual charge/discharge, it would certain change the results).

Thanks again,
Steven

John D

Oct 26, 2022, 10:43:56 AM10/26/22
to Cantera Users' Group
Thanks, Steven.  Indeed, for the example problem discussed the typo would not matter - but as you say - for the more generic case, it would change the results.
Thanks for updating the example.