Thermal Conductivity of Individual Species

Dylan Rubini

Sep 25, 2022, 2:36:27 PM9/25/22
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi,

What is the best way to access the thermal conductivity of each of the individual species using the python interface?

Is there something equivalent to accessing `species_viscosities` through the SolutionArray() object to get individual species viscosities. But instead, I would need this for the thermal conductivity (maybe I can't find the method)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,

Dylan

Ray Speth

Sep 26, 2022, 2:12:29 PM9/26/22
to Cantera Users' Group

Hi Dylan,

There’s no equivalent to the species_viscosities method for the thermal conductivity. I think this is in part because the individual species thermal conductivity is only used in the mixture-averaged transport model, and doesn’t play a role in the calculations of the multicomponent model, though I suppose it could be made available for models where it does make sense.

The two options you have are:

  1. Set the mixture to a pure species state for each species, and take the mixture thermal conductivity as the conductivity for that species

  2. Use the get_thermal_conductivity_polynomial method for each species and evaluate the conductivity at the desired temperature. The formula for calculating the conductivity from the coefficients array c is k = \sqrt{T} \sum_{i=0}^4 c_i (\ln T)^i.

Regards,
Ray

Dylan Rubini

Sep 26, 2022, 3:46:07 PM9/26/22
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response! I did try option (2) before but got erroneous results. This is because documentation indicated that there is a Boltzmann constant in the equation you described. Once I remove this as you have indicated above, the results look okay.

Please see the potentially erroneous documentation below and also see the link: https://cantera.org/documentation/dev/doxygen/html/d8/d58/classCantera_1_1GasTransport.html

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Dylan