Cantera + NumPy 2.0 Status

Bryan Weber

Jun 16, 2024, 1:57:18 PMJun 16
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi everyone,

As of today (June 16, 2024), NumPy 2.0 has been released on PyPI and I imagine will be released on other platforms shortly.

Cantera 3.0 (the most recent release at the time of this writing) does not support NumPy 2.0 due to several breaking changes in the new version of NumPy. Unfortunately, we did not set up the release of Cantera to prevent installing NumPy 2.0, so if you install or update your Python/Conda environment with NumPy 2.0 you will most likely run into problems using Cantera.

If you have an error running Cantera 3.0 with NumPy 2.0, please downgrade NumPy to version 1.26 or older until we can update Cantera to support the new version of NumPy. If you want, you can add your error message to this issue: https://github.com/Cantera/cantera/issues/1675 or leave a comment here.

Thank you!
Bryan