Calculation of flame Strain Rate

John Gordon

Jul 4, 2024, 11:45:29 AMJul 4
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi there,

I have query with regards to how strain is actually calculated in Cantera for the counter diffusion flame.

I have a simulation set up and I can use the function f.strain_rate('mean') to return the mean value
But I was also trying to calculate the mean strain rate based on:

1. Using the (mean velocity profile / mean of flame grid)

2. Using strain_rate = np.gradient(velocity_profile, z)
then using mean_strain_rate = np.mean(strain_rate)

But all these methods give a different answer.

If anyone could shine any light on this matter, it would be greatly aprpeciated.

Kind Regards,

John Gordon

Ray Speth

Jul 7, 2024, 4:50:33 PMJul 7
to Cantera Users' Group

Hi John,

The definition is given in the documentation for the strain_rate method. The “mean” strain rate is the total change in velocity between the inlet and outlet, divided by the width of the domain.

Regards,
Ray