Reaction types inconsistencies

Mahmoud Gadalla

Jul 17, 2024, 3:23:11 PM (5 days ago) Jul 17
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi,
I am using Cantera 3.0.1 and when loading and operating on YAML mechanism, I realized some reactions are stored with reaction_type of three-body-Arrhenius although they are noted in the YAML file as just simple Arrhenius. I wonder if this is a bug or there is something that I am missing ?

Attached is simple script to explain my issue clearer. Thank you in advance for support!!

Please note that the mech.yaml was originally a CTI legacy format that was converted to YAML through the cti2yaml module of Cantera 3.0.1 and the mechanism info is identical to the CTI file.

Regards,
Mahmoud
mech.yaml
test_reactions_ct30.py

Ingmar Schoegl

Jul 18, 2024, 4:07:53 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to Cantera Users' Group
Dear Mahmoud,
Based on the output of your code,

2 H + M <=> H2 + M
three-body-Arrhenius
2 H + H2 <=> H2 + H2
three-body-Arrhenius

you can easily see that both reactions have a non-reacting collision partner on both sides ('M' is arbitrary, whereas 'H2' is not). For more context of when Cantera implemented automatic detection of three-body-Arrhenius reactions, see Cantera/cantera#1251 and issues/PR's referenced therein.
-ingmar-

Mahmoud Gadalla

Jul 18, 2024, 5:04:43 PM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to Digest recipients
Thanks so much, Ingmar, for the explanation!!

Regards,
Mahmoud