Counterflow Cool Diffusion Flames

Subhojit Roy

Jul 4, 2024, 2:19:14 PMJul 4
to Cantera Users' Group
Hi All,

I am trying to reproduce Cool diffusion flames in Counterflow cantera code. Can someone advise how to change the initial condition in that so the flame doesn't converges to hot flame or somehow to change the time stepping?

Ray Speth

Jul 7, 2024, 5:01:04 PMJul 7
to Cantera Users' Group

Hi,

The default initial conditions are definitely focused on making a guess that will converge to the hot flame. Probably the easiest way to provide a different initial guess would be to call the normal sim.set_initial_guess() method, and then replace the temperature and species profiles by calling sim.set_profile. You can take a look at how this method is used in the implementation of the CounterflowDiffusionFlame.set_initial_guess method for usage examples. I’m not sure what reasonable profiles would look like in this case, so that may require some experimentation.

I think you will also want to run the sim.solve function with auto=False, since normally Cantera will try a few different grids if it doesn’t find a hot flame on the first try.

Regards,
Ray

Subhojit Roy

Jul 10, 2024, 10:42:43 PM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to canter...@googlegroups.com
I just want to run n-heptane in counterflow combustion to get cool flames. If I can somehow understand how the time-stepping works before it converges to Hot flame that would be great.

Regards,
Subhojit