canopy cover dataset for England

Martin Lukac

Mar 28, 2024, 6:59:42 AMMar 28
to Canopy Science Community Forum
Hello all,

a quick question - does anybody know of a good dataset describing canopy cover in England (or GB)? We are undertaking a modelling study on micro-climate effects of agroforesty and need this data to test the model.

Thank you, Martin

   Prof Ing Martin Lukac PhD
   Faculty of Forestry and Wood Sciences
   Czech University of Life Sciences Prague (CZU)
   Kamýcká 129 , 165 00 Praha - Suchdol, Czech Republic

Jérôme Chave

Mar 28, 2024, 7:38:53 AMMar 28
to canopy-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Martin,

would a 10-m canopy height product be convenient? See attached paper.

See data availability section, p14 for a link to download the map(s).

Best wishes, Jerome

Le 3/28/24 à 11:59, Martin Lukac a écrit :
Jérôme Chave, CNRS
UMR5300 Centre de Recherche sur la Biodiversité et l'Environnement,
CNRS, INPT, IRD, Université de Toulouse
Room 118, Bât 4R1, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse, France
http://chave.ups-tlse.fr/; http://www.labex-ceba.fr/
Tel: +(33)561556760
Liu et al. - 2023 - The overlooked contribution of trees outside fores.pdf

David Coomes

Mar 28, 2024, 7:47:04 AMMar 28
to Tew, Eleanor, Jérôme Chave, canopy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ellie

Could you advise on a forest canopy cover map for England (or GB)?

David Coomes

Director of Conservation Research Institute
Professor of Forest Ecology and Conservation
University of Cambridge

Mar 28, 2024, 11:54:07 AMMar 28
to David Coomes, Tew, Eleanor, Jérôme Chave, canopy-...@googlegroups.com

A high-resolution canopy height model of the Earth
Nico Lang, Walter Jetz, Konrad Schindler & Jan Dirk Wegner

you need to find your tile(s).  The resolution is ~3.5 m I think at the highest.  They provide a range of resolutions for each.

Chuck

Martin Lukac

Mar 28, 2024, 12:43:56 PMMar 28
to Chuck Cannon, David Coomes, Tew, Eleanor, Jérôme Chave, canopy-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Chuck, this is great. This canopy forum is amazing - we now have several datasets and probably can write a new paper comparing their effectiveness ;-)

Martin

   Martin Lukac
   Professor of Ecosystem Science
   Director of Post-graduate Research Studies
   School of Agriculture, Policy and Development
   University of Reading, RG6 6AR, UK

Mar 29, 2024, 2:39:35 AMMar 29
to Harish Debta, canopy-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all Canopy Science Forum members,
I am very glad to see a lot of discussion and information sharing happening here (this is exactly the purpose of establishing this forum).
Everyone, please feel free to share any canopy-related information (such as your publications, seminars, conferences etc.) here.

Best wishes
Aki