CAT Emulation?

Mark Wills

Jul 12, 2017, 7:37:27 AM7/12/17
to Canon Cat
Are there any emulators for this fascinating machine? I've given up hope of ever owning one.

dwight

Jul 12, 2017, 10:23:34 AM7/12/17
to cano...@googlegroups.com

There was an emulation project done by the group that emulates games but I forget the name.

The graphics and keyboard make it difficult but it could be done.

One could get a SwyftCard and use an apple IIe. They are a little cheaper and easier to find.

They work similar but don't have a few of the feature of the Cat.

The SwyftCard doesn't have the spell checker but has a similar calculator function, using calls to the Apple BASIC.

Dwight

Are there any emulators for this fascinating machine? I've given up hope of ever owning one.

Jonathan Gevaryahu

Jul 12, 2017, 11:47:17 AM7/12/17
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the MAME project (which was formerly two separate projects, MAME and MESS, which have since merged into one) does emulate the canon cat, with the exception of the floppy drive and the modem chip. Printing does work, if you capture the parallel output data.

On 7/12/2017 5:57 AM, Mark Wills wrote:
Are there any emulators for this fascinating machine? I've given up hope of ever owning one.

Vitorio

Sep 3, 2017, 8:51:19 PM9/3/17
to Canon Cat
If you don't want to set up MAME yourself, you can try MAME's Cat emulation out online here: https://archive.org/details/canoncat

Despite the publication date, it uses a version of MAME compiled 10-Jul-2017, so it'll be pretty close to doing it yourself, from a functionality-perspective.

Vitorio

Charles Springer

Sep 11, 2017, 10:20:47 PM9/11/17
to cano...@googlegroups.com