any idea what happened to Archy and the Raskin Center site?

Felix Pardinius

Feb 7, 2009, 1:59:30 PM2/7/09
to cano...@googlegroups.com
I remember that Jef and his son and a few others were working on an editor called Archy that was based on the Cat, but the website seems to have vanished.  Slashdot still has a reference to this, but the links lead to an "Account Suspended" page.

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/05/04/14/187254.shtml

Anyone know what happened to this?

--
-- Felix

Charles Springer

Feb 7, 2009, 2:16:02 PM2/7/09
to cano...@googlegroups.com
When I decided to give away Jef's Apple IIe from IAI with the wooden palm rest and leap keys plus Swyftcard (IIRC JOB was responsible for the patented carry handle) I offered it to Aza by email though a couple of his web sites but got no answer. It went to a good home with a collector on eBay. Aza seems to have some related human factors/human interface projects but I don't get any response.

-- Charlie Springer

dke...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2009, 2:31:29 PM2/7/09
to Canon Cat

On Feb 7, 11:16 am, Charles Springer <charles.regni...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hi
Aza is working on web interfaces and is a member of this group
so maybe he'll reply. I'm sure he is still working on making
interfaces more user usable.
Dwight

Charles Springer

Feb 7, 2009, 3:17:54 PM2/7/09
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Well, he should! I changed his diapers! (He's a prodigy and probably remembers).

-- Charlie

Kitty Idealist

Feb 7, 2009, 9:12:38 PM2/7/09
to Canon Cat
I checked 2 web name sales sites.
both "raskincenter.org" and "raskincenter.org" are up for sale as of
the end of December 2008.

Why we can only speculate unless Aza cares to tell us.

"Genius of any kind, unfortunately, does not always pay the bills."-
source: anonymous.

On Feb 7, 2:17 pm, Charles Springer <charles.regni...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Dwight- Hide quoted text -

Aza

Feb 8, 2009, 1:10:46 AM2/8/09
to canon-cat
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the slow responses. The problem with the various emails out there are that they don't always still exist by the time people use them. Jef's Apple IIe would have been a lovely link to the past, and certainly nolstalgic -- albiet to a time I can't remember -- but I am glad that it went to a loving home. I'm also somewhat embaressed that I'm now on a mailing list with folks that have changed my diaper :)

A bit about the past and present.

I'm now working for Mozilla as the Head of User Experience in Labs, which means I help head up new products. My official job description is, "Think about the future of the web and make it that way". My unoffical one is, "Make shiny things." I've done three startups since graduating from University of Chicago (Math and Physics, if you are curios). Two are directly related to Jef's legacy: Bloxes.com (which may look very familiar), and Humanized.com. The later was pulled into Mozilla a little less than one year ago. The product we built at Humanized, called Enso, was very much inspired by the command key of the Cannon Cat. It freed functionality from any particular application, by having a language-based quasimode for calling up those services. It was a system-wide app for Windows, that let you run any command in any application. Enso begat Ubiquity at Mozilla, which now seems to be making quiet a buzz on the intertubes. You can think about it as a pragmatic stepping stone to the universal canvas of the Cat, with the web as the platform. The goal is to finally switch the way the world thinks about computing, from page/application centric to task centric. If we succeed, then I think we've together accomplished the goal of implementing a large part of Jef's vision.

Ubiquity is entirely open source, and would greatly benefit from the wisdom of everyone on this list. Please get involved. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity

The other company is Songza.com, which was a fun foray into the music space and pie-menus.

Archy turned out to be too big a project for what the small team was capable of.  It was more complex, given a number of the spec'ed features surrounding universal undo, than any OS I know of. Ubiquity and Enso are a small and high-value portion of it. Archy is written in Python and is fully open source. I have to go figure out how to get this site back up.

-- aza | ɐzɐ --