Selling a Canon Cat

Devin Wilson

May 22, 2015, 7:26:12 PM5/22/15
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Howdy, y'all. I thought you might like to know I'm selling a Cat on eBay. I wish I could keep it (as I would actually find it incredible useful to write on) but I can't afford to buy it from my employers. :(

I wish I had more to contribute to here than selling the Cat, but there you go. It's got firmware 1.74 and was thoroughly used by someone (i.e. had finger crud all over it), but it's in very good condition. It comes with the double Centronics cable. Hopefully it ends up in good hands.

If anyone wants high-res versions of the photos for whatever reason (to use on a web page or whatnot), let me know and I'll send you a link.

Vitorio

May 23, 2015, 12:52:39 PM5/23/15
to cano...@googlegroups.com

dwight

May 23, 2015, 7:32:25 PM5/23/15
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Make that 5 cats. The $4k one is actually 2 machines with a pile of
extras and manuals.
Do note, for anyone using one of these, if the disk doesn't
come out do not yank on the disk.
The design of the drive has a fatal flaw. The rail that guides the
head comes loose and the head gets stuck on the floppy.
If you yank it out, it will rip the head off.
This is not repairable and the drives are no longer made.
They can not easily be replaced with newer drives.
A while back I posted the way to fix them before they fail and
also after, so long as the head is not damaged.
For anyone using these, I highly recommend doing the fix
before it becomes an issue.
It is not that hard to do and will save the drive.
The floppy can be easily removed once you have the drive out
and opened so don't worry about loosing the disk, as long as
you don't yank it out.
Dwight

Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 09:52:39 -0700
From: vito.m...@gmail.com
To: cano...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Canon Cat] Re: Selling a Canon Cat

Charles Springer

May 23, 2015, 9:47:04 PM5/23/15
to cano...@googlegroups.com
The $2K one is one I sold on eBay a while back It went for about $300 for some reason. The guy selling it gets IMSAI 8080 and anythihng like that, clean them up then lists for $200, $3000, or $4000 and re-lists until they sell. He told me about it. Not a bad plan.

BTW, I have NEVER seen those application manuals! Where did they come from? Was that while I was at Boeing (secret SDI stuff contract) between the release of the Cat and when I came back about the time of Mino's laptop versions?

-- Charlie