Floppy Drives

Charles Springer

Aug 14, 2018, 3:15:19 PM8/14/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. Can anyone use these?

-- Charlie Springer
Cannon301.JPG
Canon085.JPG

Santo Nucifora

Aug 14, 2018, 3:23:54 PM8/14/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Me me!

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Charles Springer <charles....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all. Can anyone use these?

-- Charlie Springer

Charles Springer

Aug 14, 2018, 3:27:35 PM8/14/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
I think they are single side? They are from Swift prototypes - wood ones I think.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:23 PM, Santo Nucifora <santo.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Me me!

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Charles Springer <charles....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all. Can anyone use these?

-- Charlie Springer

Jonathan Gevaryahu

Aug 14, 2018, 4:01:17 PM8/14/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
On 8/14/2018 3:15 PM, Charles Springer wrote:
Hi all. Can anyone use these?

-- Charlie Springer

I might be interested in messing with one, if they have the same sort of drive MCU inside that the later canon cat drives did, but clearly the cables to the drives aren't the same as the canon cat ones, so they won't work as a drive swap without some extra work.

--
Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgeva...@gmail.com

dwight

Aug 15, 2018, 4:32:17 AM8/15/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com

I think these are just regular floppies. The major difference, other that wire scambling is that the Cat has the power in the cable. These are older floppy drives these typically had the drive ready, needed for the Cat's software.

The Cat used single sided, because it expected to save only a single RAM image. Not having a full possible RAM there wasn't a need to have a double sided drive.

Dwight

Aug 15, 2018, 7:03:12 AM8/15/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 4:32 AM dwight <dke...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I think these are just regular floppies.

I had a picture of my non-working Canon floppy drive when I was looking for one a little while ago and I spent some time last night looking for that picture just to be 100% certain but I couldn't find it.  A search back in my emails (one to this list) shows that it was a Canon model MD3301.   As far as I'm concerned, this is the floppy drive for the production Cats too.

Thanks for making these available Charles.
Santo

Hannu Aronsson

Aug 15, 2018, 7:20:15 AM8/15/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Catsters,

Do we know how the Cat uses the drive ready signal? Could we use a normal floppy drive and a manual switch to emulate the "drive ready" signal well enough (perhaps toggle switch before taking floppy out, toggle back after putting disk in), A bit cumbersome but maybe a way for us with broken floppy drives in our Cats to get the Cat saving again?

I feel there are quite many with broken floppy drives, so if we find a solution, we could do a group "purchase" or "solution" together to get them working?

PS. Anyone have a working 5.25" double-sided 80-track floppy drive? I have not been able to find/buy a working drive to use with a KryoFlux USB floppy controller to save a big pile of old floppies to image files. Willing to pay shipping (to Finland) and reasonable price. After using it with my floppies, I would donate it along to other people with the same need.

Yours,

Jonathan Gevaryahu

Aug 15, 2018, 12:39:31 PM8/15/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com

It might be the same drive as the production cat (with the same flawed plastic head rail spacer which requires a metal retrofit to prevent the drive from self-destructing), but even if it is, it has a different cable. The cat drives use a flexible flat cable, while the iai swyft prototypes used a standard 34 pin mini-shugart floppy cable.

AFAIK from looking at source code, the cat does depend on the /READY signal on pin 34, so a drive which does /DISKCHG on pin 34 will probably not work.

(this is assuming /DISKCHG goes active when a disk is ejected from the drive or inserted (as detected by the write protect sensor optical sensor detecting a sudden change active to inactive or vice versa), and goes inactive after /STEP is pulsed once)

I ASSUME (not having the MCU contents from the cat's floppy drive; if someone has a DEAD cat floppy drive with a destroyed head that can be used for science, let me know!) that the /READY signal is pulled low/asserted when:

/DRIVESEL1 (pin 12) is low/active

AND

the drive detects that there is a disk currently inserted (with a microswitch or optical sensor)

AND

the index sensor on the spindle motor has detected at least two (three?) pulses with the appropriate RPM time between each one, meaning the disk is rotating at the correct speed (this implies /motoron (pin 16) is low/active, but it is possible the /ready signal also requires /motoron to be low)

and is de-asserted/left floating if any of the above is not true.

dwight

Aug 16, 2018, 3:21:07 AM8/16/18
to cano...@googlegroups.com

Hi

 As Jonathan says, the disk change will not work. Most newer drives no longer have the drive ready circuit. The controller determines the ready status by either data clocking on the data line or the index pulse. One could make a one shot from a 555 and pulse the drive ready signal low for at least one index pulse time ( needs to be retriggerable ).

As for the cabling, it is not that complicated. The schematic is available for the Cat. It wouldn't take much to make a proper cable.

As I've said before, if you have a Cat with a working drive, stop using it and fix the guide rail before the drive is damaged!!

Dwight