Stage Descriptor

Kevin Stark

Mar 16, 2021, 1:03:28 PM3/16/21
to Cancer Reg Testing Tool

Hello,

With the new test data, the tool is expecting AJCC 7th Edition for the Stage Descriptor, but that isn't a realistic code system to send if the Stage is started in 2018 or later. Sending the 8th edition OIDs results in a few IG Conformance Errors. Should vendors and testers ignore those IG Conformance Errors?

Thanks,

Kevin Stark

Epic Application Services

Blumenthal, Wendy J. (CDC/DDNID/NCCDPHP/DCPC)

Apr 2, 2021, 4:55:22 PM4/2/21
to cancer-reg-...@googlegroups.com

Kevin,

There is no valid 8th edition stage descriptor value set because the concept no longer exists in 8th edition. Unfortunately we did not include that in our last update to the tool and test data. Here's the note we included in the data sheet regarding stage descriptor: “8th Edition does not have this data element; we will publish errata in the future to remove this data element from the IG. However, because the IG does not allow this element to be null, we have used a value from the 7th Ed. value set.”

That being said, it has been brought to our attention that it is not easy for implementers to use 7th edition for this data element and 8th edition for others. So it is our recommendation that errors related to the Stage Descriptor data element be ignored by testers and certifiers until we can update the tool.

Thank you,

Wendy

Wendy Blumenthal, MPH

Health Scientist

Cancer Surveillance Branch (CSB)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Phone: 770-488-1131

Email: wblum...@cdc.gov

James Threatte

Apr 19, 2021, 10:33:54 AM4/19/21
to Cancer Reg Testing Tool
Hi Wendy,
AJCC released their 9th edition staging library and that took effect in January 2021. Will those changes affect the Cancer Registries test tool or test data?
James