Starting up in Canberra, looking for Ruby opportunities

Ryan Pauley

Feb 8, 2015, 9:14:41 PM2/8/15
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hey there Canberra, I see that you don't like to hold formal Meetups, that's cool.. but I'm trying to find a way to launch into the fine waters of Lake Burley Griffin and not sail on the good ship .net – which is fine, but you know...

I'm finishing up a three-month intensive course at General Assembly Sydney and I'm tired (, so tired) of taking the bus from ACT each week.

According to to the RoRo Oceania group, there's, what, three companies out there using rails? :/ What're the chances there are more I'm not seeing and perhaps one of you fine fellows known or unknown knows of someone looking to take on a junior?

I'm more proficient than Sir Prince Philip in Ruby, Rails, Javascript, Node, Websockets.io, Python and gifs.

I'd really like to meet some folk in the community, so if no one's interested in holding a RoRo meetup (and I've messaged you), can I at least propose an unofficial one – at least to be on record as having one for 2015?

Anyway, I really just wanted to say hello. Hi.

Ryan
@ryapauley

Greg Clarke

Feb 8, 2015, 10:38:47 PM2/8/15
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan

Cool video.

I've done the bus trip a few times too.... wears thin after a while.

I'm at ANBG doing Rails on JRuby in a mostly Java/Grails group of 3.

Family Court runs Rails apps on Oracle - have done since I worked there 2007 - 2010.  Haven't been in touch with them for yonks, so don't know what they're up to.  Things are tight in government right now.

Most days I bike in from Palmerston to the Gardens.  Call in for a chat if you like.

Greg Clarke

0407 230658

Mary-Anne Cosgrove

Feb 16, 2015, 6:33:11 PM2/16/15
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan

I know how you feel. I was working in Sydney for a while too, but had to return to Canberra to be with my family. While in Sydney I had really enjoyed working in Ruby and Rails, and was keen to stay with the language. I managed to land a job working remotely from Canberra for Envato, who are based in Melbourne.

You might like to see this video about what it's like working for Envato (I feature very briefly at 1:50). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJtHemSPW4

Check out http://www.envato.com/careers if you're interested. The interview process was pretty intense, I'm happy to tell you what it's like if you decide to apply.

Cheers
AC