First (well, first restarted) meeting recap

Matthew Savage

Jun 19, 2012, 8:26:20 PM6/19/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to thank everyone who came along to the meeting last night, and thanks to Hugh and Tim for stepping up and giving a talk.

What was everyone's opinions on the venue? Personally I think it was a little too loud making it difficult to the talks and even people introducing themselves, but maybe I'm going deaf...?

One other thing I wanted to float with everyone was the idea of a hacknight (or Jelly night that Icelab did a few times) - I know that the Sydney group does this a few weeks after their meeting and I think it might be useful for those of us who are working on our own projects and might want some help, to get peoples opinions etc, outside of a meeting 'situation'.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Matthew

Greg Clarke

Jun 19, 2012, 8:44:57 PM6/19/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew

Thanks for your part in organising last night.

The meeting was good, I really enjoyed it. Great work Hugh and Tim,
thanks for the presentations. Lots to think about afterwards.

Venue was relaxing, friendly and easy to get to. Having food and
drink available was a bonus, but, yes, the noise made it difficult to
hear people more than a few seats away. Not sure about other options.

I'm interested in discussing code and projects with other Ruby
programmers, so a hack or jelly night sounds good.

Greg

Tim Riley

Jun 20, 2012, 7:29:47 PM6/20/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 10:26 AM, Matthew Savage wrote:
What was everyone's opinions on the venue? Personally I think it was a little too loud making it difficult to the talks and even people introducing themselves, but maybe I'm going deaf...?
Agree that it felt a little too noisy for a talks night. The venue would be perfectly fine for drinking/hacking though.
One other thing I wanted to float with everyone was the idea of a hacknight (or Jelly night that Icelab did a few times) - I know that the Sydney group does this a few weeks after their meeting and I think it might be useful for those of us who are working on our own projects and might want some help, to get peoples opinions etc, outside of a meeting 'situation'.
I like hack nights. I was planning to announce another Jelly or Nightowls at Icelab while I'm in Canberra, but our space is just too crowded for it these days. Instead, how about we do alternating formats on the same 3rd Tuesday of the month for CRC? We could do a hack night at The Duxton next month (or at a different spot if someone has suggestions).

Tim