Call for talks: Next Meeting 21st of August

Matthew Savage

Jul 12, 2012, 2:32:16 AM7/12/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
The next meeting for the Canberra Ruby Crew is on the 21st of August, venue pending (though if there are no suggesting we might have to fall back to the Duxton again... maybe I can convince them to turn down the music properly...).

So, I would like to see if anyone is interested in giving a talk, sharing something they have learned, or just entertaining us in general for 20-30 minutes. Please feel free to put your hand up, talking in front of a group isn't as daunting as it could appear to be, and well, its actually kind of rewarding.

I would be happy to give a talk myself, but I think I'm fixated on like one or two topics at the moment and I would like to have something else to talk about other then payments or security, so I guess what I am saying is suggestions for topics to talk about are also welcome.

A show of hands for who might be attending would be nice - however I realize it is about a month out so I won't hold you to it.

As always, any questions please ask.

Thanks,
Matthew

Ross Paine

Jul 12, 2012, 5:16:56 AM7/12/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
I'm still happy to do something on puppet, not sure what yet though.

Matthew Savage

Jul 13, 2012, 1:40:31 AM7/13/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ross, a talk on Puppet sounds great. If you need something with a bit of power to run VMs on I can bring my iMac in.

Bill Burdin

Jul 13, 2012, 1:43:10 AM7/13/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Would this meeting be happy to have a ruby novice attend. I've tried to install ruby rails and failed.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Matthew Savage <matthew...@fatzebra.com.au> wrote:
Hi Ross, a talk on Puppet sounds great. If you need something with a bit of power to run VMs on I can bring my iMac in.

Regards

Bill Burdin
=======================================
=======================================
Websitings Pty Ltd
ABN: 65 107 182 918
Ph: 0423 512 819

Matthew Savage

Jul 13, 2012, 1:44:30 AM7/13/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Everyone and anyone is welcome - you don't even need to know the rubies :) We can help, no doubt.

Hugh Evans

Aug 12, 2012, 4:45:24 AM8/12/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
I can give a relatively short talk on Mustache templates in Rails and JS.

Cheers,
Hugh

Matthew Savage

Aug 13, 2012, 12:21:49 AM8/13/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good - I can probably put together something on the OWASP top 10 Application Security Risks, and how you can deal with them in Rails... maybe start at the first five though.

Thoughts?

Matthew Savage

Aug 15, 2012, 6:49:35 AM8/15/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to do this, but I have just found out I will be away next week and after discussing with Hugh we've decided to postpone until next month, when hopefully we have a more suitable venue and some talks locked down.

If anyone wishes to hurl abuse, please do so at me :)

Until then...

Ross Paine

Aug 16, 2012, 3:09:47 AM8/16/12
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, I can procrastinate and not put together a puppet talk for
another month..
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/canberra-ruby/-/lQh4lRJTdl0J.

don jokhan

Apr 15, 2013, 9:18:52 PM4/15/13
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt, the CRC website says that a meeting is scheduled for tonight (16th April 2013), and as i have not attended before, i was wondering if it was still on.

Thanks in advance.

Kryptyk Physh

Apr 15, 2013, 9:41:49 PM4/15/13
to canber...@googlegroups.com

Another potential first time attendee here. Is it still on for this evening, please?

Cheers,

Brian.

Bodhi Philpot

Apr 15, 2013, 9:53:44 PM4/15/13
to canber...@googlegroups.com
It seems that the date on that page is dynamically generated:

https://github.com/timriley/crcinatra/blob/master/app.rb#L21

And there's been no talk on this list of a meeting for the past few months, so I'd expect that it's not going ahead. Hugh, Matt or one of the other people might know otherwise though.

Matthew Savage

Apr 16, 2013, 8:23:16 AM4/16/13
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply (and lack of organisation on my part) - we haven't scheduled a meeting since the Christmas Drinks, but its something I would like to try and get started again.

I am wondering whether aiming for a day next month would work? New people are more then welcome, its just a matter of getting some talks lined up, and a venue.., which isn't noisy :)

//M.

Rosie Williams

Apr 16, 2013, 6:39:48 PM4/16/13
to canber...@googlegroups.com
Entry 29 should be nearly ready (and free) - contact Rory Ford.

Sent from my iPhone