Is Canberra Any Good?

Greg Hutchison

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Do you think Canbera is a good place to live?

Dou you fell that we get value out of our 17 pollies and 15,000
servants?

Should they sell off ACTEW, float it and make us buy it back?

If TranAct is successful will they float it of and let Telstra buy it
by stealth?

Willl we get broadband access soon? You have hear of Tranact. What
about ADSL and AAPT's LMDS Broadband radio service that could offer up
to 45Mb/s download. There is also TARBS MDS radio channels which
apparently could offer high speed internet like Austra are planning.

Will Kate get re-elected? Should she get re-elected? Should she get
the flick? Who will replace her?

Greg

Sue Cooper

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
>Do you think Canbera is a good place to live?

I do :) I have lived all over australia and I love Canberra the best. I ahve
also found that the ppl who whinge about it have only ever visited or heard
about it second hand :)

Chris Lumb

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
You're right, I lived there 30 plus years. I'm only in Townsville now
because of heartbreaks in Canberra. Mind you, Townsville's a nice place
too.

Sue Cooper <slco...@deakin.edu.au> wrote in article
<q8rp4.201$l97.88...@news.interact.net.au>...

Bron

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
I looooove the cold...windows open, doona pulled up high ... hmmm.....
bliss...

Only sink to a jumper in the last month or so ....

wooohoooo....

Bron
(pst Sue, if I can get rid of the blue/green algae in the pool, you can
bring your kids over .. ;-)-

Sue Cooper <slco...@deakin.edu.au> wrote in message

> >But I will end up leaving because of the cold. I dont want to spend >my
> old age shivering 10 months of the year. Not much can be done>about that
> suppose.
>
> we've had two months of hot?????? ;)

ID

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:25:42 GMT, ghu...@pcug.org.au (Greg Hutchison)
wrote:

>Do you think Canbera is a good place to live?

Canberra is a great place to live... in fact one of the major reasons
I stay here is because its a good environment to bring my young
daughter up in.

Sue Cooper

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00

>But I will end up leaving because of the cold. I dont want to spend >my
old age shivering 10 months of the year. Not much can be done>about that I
suppose.

we've had two months of hot?????? ;)

Sue Cooper

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
I must admit...cold is good for me too...must be the pommy blood..
you can always get warmer, chuck another pair of clothes on,etc...you cannot
always get cooler, you have to stop at your skin

Bron wrote in message <38a7...@iridium.webone.com.au>...

>I looooove the cold...windows open, doona pulled up high ... hmmm.....
>bliss...
>

>Only sink to a jumper in the last month or so ....
>
>wooohoooo....
>

>Bron
>(pst Sue, if I can get rid of the blue/green algae in the pool, you can
>bring your kids over .. ;-)-

ant

Feb 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/14/00
ID <i...@isp.com> wrote

> But I will end up leaving because of the cold. I dont want to spend
> my old age shivering 10 months of the year. Not much can be done
> about that I suppose.

I knocked back a very lucrative job in sydney, because it was too hot and
too far from the skifields (and too Sydney!). Canberra is still too hot,
but at least we had a cooler January this year.

ant (me not him)

Michael Lightfoot

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:06:05 +1100, Sue Cooper wrote:

>I must admit...cold is good for me too...must be the pommy blood..
>you can always get warmer, chuck another pair of clothes on,etc...you cannot
>always get cooler, you have to stop at your skin

Exactly what I say about my 5 years in Brisbane. Winters were really
pleasant, but Summer nights of 25 deg and 99% humidity, yuccchhh!

---
michael

michael....@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~michal

Peter Mackay

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
In article
<zvpunryyvtugsbbgpnaonh...@newshost.tip.net.au>,
micha...@canb.auug.org.au says...

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:06:05 +1100, Sue Cooper wrote:
>
> >I must admit...cold is good for me too...must be the pommy blood..
> >you can always get warmer, chuck another pair of clothes on,etc...you cannot
> >always get cooler, you have to stop at your skin
> >
> Exactly what I say about my 5 years in Brisbane. Winters were really
> pleasant, but Summer nights of 25 deg and 99% humidity, yuccchhh!

Agreed, brother. I came from the tag-end of a Brisbane summer to the
start of a Canberra winter, and now, many years later I still wouldn't
swap Canberra and its climate for any other place in Australia.

--

Cheers! Peter Mackay

Peter Tilbrook

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Apart from (according to Australian PC User) Canberra having amongst the
crappiest Internet connection rates I love it here!

Emma

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
In article <X6lq4.267$DU7.148...@news.interact.net.au>,
pe...@nospam.safetyweb.com.au says...

> Apart from (according to Australian PC User) Canberra having amongst the
> crappiest Internet connection rates I love it here!

It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's phone
lines aren't so hot either. I'm having dialup problems at the moment due
to a poor quality phone line. I'm debating whether to call Telstra's
service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the problem
(apart from moving interstate)?

Emma

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
I think Tel$tra sux. I live with no better than a 38k connection. If I go to
my mates place about 1Km up the road, I can get up to 48k. His phone number
has the same prefix, so its not the exchange it lines :-(

Emma <funk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Emma

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
In article <HMvq4.501$s53.8...@news0.optus.net.au>, em...@invalid.com
says...

> I think Tel$tra sux. I live with no better than a 38k connection. If I go to
> my mates place about 1Km up the road, I can get up to 48k. His phone number
> has the same prefix, so its not the exchange it lines :-(

What suburb gets 48K? do they have line dropout problems?

Emma

Terry & Heather

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

J wrote:

> I think Tel$tra sux. I live with no better than a 38k connection. If I go to
> my mates place about 1Km up the road, I can get up to 48k. His phone number
> has the same prefix, so its not the exchange it lines :-(

Are you sure, ever tried his modem at your place?

Terry

Terry & Heather

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

Emma wrote:

> In article <HMvq4.501$s53.8...@news0.optus.net.au>, em...@invalid.com
> says...

> > I think Tel$tra sux. I live with no better than a 38k connection. If I go to
> > my mates place about 1Km up the road, I can get up to 48k. His phone number
> > has the same prefix, so its not the exchange it lines :-(
>

> What suburb gets 48K? do they have line dropout problems?

North Belconnen, Dickson exchange built late 70s, 49333bps and no dropouts here
anymore.

Terry

> Emma

Terry & Heather

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

Emma wrote:

> In article <X6lq4.267$DU7.148...@news.interact.net.au>,
> pe...@nospam.safetyweb.com.au says...
> > Apart from (according to Australian PC User) Canberra having amongst the
> > crappiest Internet connection rates I love it here!
>
> It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's phone
> lines aren't so hot either.

Phone lines do deteriorate over time just like most of man's or should that be
persons toys. Ring in the fault, be nice, if you cop shite then give it back
with interest. I see to many ppl with bad attitudes these days get up the
first person they can get when you are wanting someone to fix your problem and
then they wonder why nobody cares.

> I'm having dialup problems at the moment due
> to a poor quality phone line.

Simple, call in and arrange to get it tested. Who says it's the phone line?
Modems pork as well.

> I'm debating whether to call Telstra's
> service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
> problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the problem
> (apart from moving interstate)?

Yes i had a problem with the phone line at home, got the usual chamber music
etc. and i had to use my mobile as i waited too long before getting the line
checked out. Do it, make the call, the problem is only going to get worse when
the line dies altogether. if you're lucky you'll get a tech who knows what
he's doing. I get 49333 bps all the time now and no more drop outs (that's the
one i hated) which is about as good as it gets in Canberra.

regards
terry (not a telstra employee)

> Emma

terry

Kimbo

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
I'd be interested to hear Tel$tra's answer on that.
I'v heard many stories of people who have bad connections going 'up the
road' and getting double the connection speed.
I don't think i've had less than 50K since getting connected.
My home connection is almost on par with the dedicated link i use at
work.....almost :)

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
No, I haven't, maybe a future plan of action. The line itself is newish
(<2years old). It has one plug that goes to the computer.
My computer: PIII 550 128MB 24GB W98SE V.90 Modem, so I'm pretty sure that's
not the problem.
I was under the impression that if you rang tel$tra to check the line, they
would, but if they found no fault, they charge you for the check.

Terry & Heather <tr...@dynamite.com.au> wrote in message

> J wrote:
>
> > I think Tel$tra sux. I live with no better than a 38k connection. If I
go to
> > my mates place about 1Km up the road, I can get up to 48k. His phone
number
> > has the same prefix, so its not the exchange it lines :-(
>

> Are you sure, ever tried his modem at your place?
>
> Terry

> > Emma <funk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > In article <X6lq4.267$DU7.148...@news.interact.net.au>,
> > > pe...@nospam.safetyweb.com.au says...
> > >
> > > It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's
phone

> > > lines aren't so hot either. I'm having dialup problems at the moment
due
> > > to a poor quality phone line. I'm debating whether to call Telstra's

> > > service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
> > > problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the
problem
> > > (apart from moving interstate)?
> > >

> > > Emma

Terry & Heather

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
You never mention data line, computer, fax, modem to Tel$tra when reporting a
line fault. If your a home user (can't remember the cute term they use for us),
anyway they generally couldn't give a toss if you're only getting 42k bps with a
56k bps modem or you're faxes look like shite, but they do respond favourably to
voice faults. Tell them the phone pops & crackles, no dialtone sometimes etc.
etc. I was told this little bit of info by a Tel$tra Customer support person and
it has worked a treat for a number of known ppl. You also get a better class of
techo for voice line faults and you'll get the line tested fairly thoroughly.

terry

Bron

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
And where is the surname/electoral roll now that we know you have a mega pc
:-)

<grin>

Bron

J <em...@invalid.com> wrote in message

Emma

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
In article <38AA9680...@dynamite.com.au>, tr...@dynamite.com.au
says...

> Phone lines do deteriorate over time just like most of man's or should that be
> persons toys. Ring in the fault, be nice, if you cop shite then give it back
> with interest. I see to many ppl with bad attitudes these days get up the
> first person they can get when you are wanting someone to fix your problem and
> then they wonder why nobody cares.

*sigh* will do - but I hate waiting on hold with Telstra, and half the
time they either don't know how to fix the problem or tell me I have to
put up with it anyway.

> > I'm having dialup problems at the moment due
> > to a poor quality phone line.
>

> Simple, call in and arrange to get it tested. Who says it's the phone line?
> Modems pork as well.

Happens with a variety of modems and ISPs, so the only variable left to
blame is the phone line.

> Yes i had a problem with the phone line at home, got the usual chamber music
> etc. and i had to use my mobile as i waited too long before getting the line
> checked out. Do it, make the call, the problem is only going to get worse when
> the line dies altogether. if you're lucky you'll get a tech who knows what
> he's doing. I get 49333 bps all the time now and no more drop outs (that's the
> one i hated) which is about as good as it gets in Canberra.

OK, you've inspired me - I'll make that call...

Emma

ant

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Emma <funk...@hotmail.com> wrote

> It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's phone

> lines aren't so hot either. I'm having dialup problems at the moment due

> to a poor quality phone line. I'm debating whether to call Telstra's
> service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
> problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the problem
> (apart from moving interstate)?

goddam Telstra. Remember my lack of a mobile signal, which began on Jan 17?
Well, 2 nights ago, the signal suddenly came back. I called them, and they
had no idea why it had come back. which means it can go again at any time.
The Telecommunications Ombudsman has it now: I'm so angry about the whole
thing, I want to deliever what puny little kicks are allowed me.

"I have lost my mobile signal".

"Oh, well, we might check it out some time but right now we are really
busy".

?!!!!

--
Ant! -=DUH#18=- (Y2)
Y2K compliant Vitara: no flaming computers!

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Sorry couldn't help it. ;-)

J....u.... ....o....

opps almost to much information!

Bron <use.a...@in.the.message.com> wrote in message

Terry & Heather

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00

Emma wrote:

> OK, you've inspired me - I'll make that call...
>
> Emma

Drop me a line and let me know how you get on, if you don't get any satisfaction I
may be able to help (:-

Terry

Terry & Heather

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00

ant wrote:

> Emma <funk...@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's phone
> > lines aren't so hot either. I'm having dialup problems at the moment due
> > to a poor quality phone line. I'm debating whether to call Telstra's
> > service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
> > problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the problem
> > (apart from moving interstate)?
>
> goddam Telstra. Remember my lack of a mobile signal, which began on Jan 17?
> Well, 2 nights ago, the signal suddenly came back. I called them, and they
> had no idea why it had come back. which means it can go again at any time.
> The Telecommunications Ombudsman has it now: I'm so angry about the whole
> thing, I want to deliever what puny little kicks are allowed me.

This sounds like you've got a digi service, well you know that that's not very
high on Tel$tra's list of importance at the moment as most of the techs are
trying to keep their bollocks outa the fire over the CDMA service stuff up at
the moment, they just can't deliver a good service to the country and we have
all have been hearing about little Johnny's problems in the bush. If it doesn't
get any better out there he's a gona next time round.

terry

Peter Mackay

Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00
In article <38AC0651...@dynamite.com.au>, tr...@dynamite.com.au
says...

> ant wrote:
>
> > Emma <funk...@hotmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > It's not just ISPs who aren't giving great service here. Telstra's phone
> > > lines aren't so hot either. I'm having dialup problems at the moment due
> > > to a poor quality phone line. I'm debating whether to call Telstra's
> > > service number and sit on hold for half a day, or just put up with the
> > > problem. Anyone else had this experience? How did you solve the problem
> > > (apart from moving interstate)?
> >
> > goddam Telstra. Remember my lack of a mobile signal, which began on Jan 17?
> > Well, 2 nights ago, the signal suddenly came back. I called them, and they
> > had no idea why it had come back. which means it can go again at any time.
> > The Telecommunications Ombudsman has it now: I'm so angry about the whole
> > thing, I want to deliever what puny little kicks are allowed me.

Even though a mobile phone will indeed fit in a schooner of beer, this is
no reason to demonstrate it, and it takes a while for full operation to
be regained.

Seriously, if you keep on voting for the same old bastards, you can
expect to be treated in the same old way.

> This sounds like you've got a digi service, well you know that that's not very
> high on Tel$tra's list of importance at the moment as most of the techs are
> trying to keep their bollocks outa the fire over the CDMA service stuff up at
> the moment, they just can't deliver a good service to the country and we have
> all have been hearing about little Johnny's problems in the bush. If it doesn't
> get any better out there he's a gona next time round.

Rural folk are working out in ever increasing numbers that the National
Party aren't able to help them any more. If they are not in government
the city-based ALP is calling the shots, and if the Coalition has the
Treasury benches, then the city-based Liberals are calling the shots.

Why do you think the One Nation vote in rural electorates is so high?

A bit like the smug Canberra republicans -- the only polity in Australia
that voted YES, but they failed to notice that they lost the war.

--

Cheers! Peter Mackay

stereotype

Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00

I've given up. All of Telstra's time and money is going into upgrading
Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane for pay TV because that's where the
market is. They don't care about Canberra in the slightest. The
situation is particularly bad in the older suburbs. I live in one of
the older streets in Turner and the comms is pathetic. The only
solution is to wait until the competition gets here and drop Telstra.
If they won't provide the service they'll lose the business.

Emma

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
In article <38af...@iridium.webone.com.au>, Ki...@where.ami says...
> Wanted to trade: Our village idiot for your village idiot.
> Contact ACT Govt

Only problem is they might think they're getting the other PM in trade...

Emma

ID

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:09:21 +1100, "Bron"
<use.a...@in.the.message.com> wrote:

>I looooove the cold...windows open, doona pulled up high ... hmmm.....
>bliss...

yeah I like cold nights.. but I'm a very outdoors person too

Canberra has a drab deserted look about it for quite a few months of
the year.. people stay inside, my garden just shuts down for 6-8
months. Aug - Dec is just wind and cloud and when summer does get
here it just hits like a sledge hammer... u need time to get used to
one temp or another.

then a few days ago after a week of 30-35 the temp drops to 14-16 for
a couple of days. I had the central heater going in high summer. All
it took for that to happen was the wind to change direction.. but you
never get a warm day in winter- lifes like that eh.

I find the weather here to be erratic and extreme.

BTW you can always escape a hot night with an air-con.

somebody said Autum was the best season in Canb... I tend to agree.
Lets hope for warm, sunny, still days and cool nights. at least a few
in a row would be nice.

:-)

Sue Cooper

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00

>BTW you can always escape a hot night with an air-con.

but not everyone has one :)
I am lucky...I live in a house that remains like a fridge during
summer...doors and windows open and its nice and cool in here..I have not
had to use the air con once and where I live we get it about 1 degree hotter
than Canberra.

but still..you can always keep warmer....you cant always get cooler

ID

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:58:14 +1100, "Sue Cooper"
<slco...@deakin.edu.au> wrote:

>but still..you can always keep warmer....you cant always get cooler

I agree its easier.. but I've heard a enough people say "I can't get
warm no matter what I do"

Canberra's temp swings *much* more than most places during a day..
that doesnt bother you?

ant

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
Peter Tilbrook <pe...@safetyweb.com.au> wrote

> The PM (as in JH) certainly treats the ACT as though we are 'rural'.

Yeah, he'll be wearing that bloody hat here next.
An anonymous Liberal MP reckoned he looked like a roofing nail.

brian

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
In article <38b1c9b8@info-int>,

"ant" <an...@geocities.com> wrote:
> Peter Tilbrook <pe...@safetyweb.com.au> wrote
>
> > The PM (as in JH) certainly treats the ACT as though we are 'rural'.
>
> Yeah, he'll be wearing that bloody hat here next.
> An anonymous Liberal MP reckoned he looked like a roofing nail.

Actually, I thought he looked like the sunday preacher, on his rounds.
mouth like a cat's bum, pursed tight in displeasure at the sin he
encountered, mixing with the ungodly. ;-)

Of course, he's also on a "mission from god" to save us, from ourselves.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

andreami...@gmail.com

May 18, 2015, 11:43:22 AM5/18/15