Canasta 1.3 Beta 2 (MediaWiki 1.39) released and status updates on MW 1.39 upgrade

Jeffrey Wang

Dec 2, 2022, 2:38:11 AM12/2/22
to Canasta
Konnichiwa,

With MediaWiki 1.39's release, we wanted to provide a beta Canasta image as quickly as possible for those who absolutely need their wikis to be on MediaWiki 1.39, but accept the risks of using this beta image, which are detailed below.

Here is the image that is based on MediaWiki 1.39.0 (instead of 1.39.0-rc.1): ghcr.io/canastawiki/canasta:1.39.0-20221201-141

And you can use the upgrade/1.39 branch of Canasta for Docker Compose to upgrade your stack repo: https://github.com/CanastaWiki/Canasta-DockerCompose/tree/upgrade/1.39

Upgrading both the image and the stack repo will be required since Elasticsearch 7.10.2 is required for CirrusSearch on MediaWiki 1.39.

What you can expect from this beta, as long as you also use the upgraded stack:
  • Your wiki will run MediaWiki 1.39
  • Your wiki ought to smoothly upgrade automatically from MediaWiki 1.35 to 1.39 (when you follow the official directions of changing the image used on your docker-compose.override.yml manifest file)
  • Your Elasticsearch will run on 7.10.2
What this beta does not offer:
The extensions are all bundled in the beta but are NOT guaranteed to work. Please proceed at your own risk.

At this time, we do not recommend running Canasta 1.3 Beta 2 on any production wiki.

Community members: we need your help with testing all of the Canasta extensions for 1.39. Please file a bug report on the Canasta GitHub Issues page if you encounter something. https://github.com/CanastaWiki/Canasta/issues

aapkaa
jeffrey