CCCS Roll Call 2016

mattfreund

Jul 23, 2016, 1:41:39 AM7/23/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces

Hey fellow Canadian Creative Spaces places.

Annual Roll Call. Directors turn over semi-regularly and I noticed some of our own directors weren't aware of this list. That means it's roll call / group hug time!

If you wouldn't all mind forwarding this to your given directors, that would be appreciated.
--

What is the "Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces"?

Right now it's just this mailing list/google group, for Canadian hacker/maker/whatever spaces and the people that coordinate them (generally the directors) to have a place to discuss common issues like dues, administration, which big tools to invest in, etc, and also occasionally share resources like extra tools.

Bigger picture, perhaps someday when we get our act together, we can use this group to lobby politicians, solicit/distribute sponsorships on a national scale (opt-in), coordinate tax breaks, and sound more professional than a couple dozen random organizations. It's a bit of a figurehead for the movement in a way that should benefit us all.

(Someone correct me if this is wrong)

How old is the CCS?

Around 4 years now.

What's the purpose of this thread?

Intro/Roll call, so we can see if anyone's slipped through the cracks when their directors retired and then fix that by reaching out to them again.

Can everyone please chime in with the following:

Your Name:
Your Space and City:
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes/No
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes/No

Thanks everyone!

Matt Freund

Jul 23, 2016, 1:43:49 AM7/23/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Your Name: Matt Freund
Your Space and City: Protospace (Calgary)
Are you currently a director at your space: Nope.
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: They
weren't, but they are now.
> --
>
> ---

Chris Riley

Jul 23, 2016, 2:11:52 AM7/23/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com

Name: Chris Riley

Space & City: Ohm Base, Thunder Bay

Am I the director: yes
Are all directors away of CCCS?: We had turnovers recently so the latest crop likely not. Will be fixed this weekend.

Michael Legary

Jul 23, 2016, 2:12:08 AM7/23/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com

Your Name: Mike Legary

Your Space and City: NorthForge Fabrication Lab (Formerly AssentWorks) - Winnipeg

Are you currently a director at your space:Yes
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes

Jordan Elliott

Jul 23, 2016, 2:15:19 AM7/23/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:  Jordan Elliott
Your Space and City: ProtoShed, St. John's, NL
Are you currently a director at your space: Yes, Treasurer and knower of coporate/government bs
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes

ProtoShed hasn't seen any change in directors since the last roll call.  I love when this group pops up once a year and I get to see how the other spaces are doing.

Myself and a couple others are trying to hash out a way to organize the creative/technological groups in St. John's and/or Newfoundland and Labrador as there seem to be a number with small memberships, so then we can work on getting our own space as a collective within St. John's that is accessible to everyone.

I hope everyone is doing well and is having a good summer so far.

Jordan Elliott | Treasurer
ProtoShed Community Workshop Inc.

Richard Fullbrook

Jul 25, 2016, 11:05:01 PM7/25/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name: Richard Fullbrook
Your Space and City: ENTS (Edmonton)
Are you currently a director at your space: Yes.
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Nope, but most.

Derek Jacoby

Jul 25, 2016, 11:06:34 PM7/25/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Derek Jacoby
Victoria Makerspace, Victoria BC
yes, I'm a director
other directors are aware of the group, although not active on it

Vincent Wolfe

Jul 26, 2016, 1:39:04 AM7/26/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:  Vince Wolfe
Your Space and City:  Central Alberta Maker Space (CAMS), Red Deer Alberta
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes (I prefer interm dictator)

Byron Hynes

Jul 26, 2016, 1:41:01 AM7/26/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:  Byron Hynes
Your Space and City: Calgary Protospace Ltd
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes (Someone has to keep Matt in line. Or try.)
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: I'm told we are. :)

Travis Ralston - ENTS Edmonton

Jul 26, 2016, 4:29:54 PM7/26/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name: Travis Ralston

Your Space and City: ENTS (Edmonton)
Are you currently a director at your space: Yes
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Most, but not all.

Matt Freund

Aug 8, 2016, 7:45:07 AM8/8/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Alright, so here's who piped up so far:

Victoria MS (Victoria)
Protospace (Calgary)
CAMS (Red Deer)
ENTS (Edmonton)
NorthForge (Winnipeg)
Ohm Base (Thunder Bay)
DIYode (Guelph - messaged privately, can't post here?)
ProtoShed (St. John's)

We're missing a lot.

VHS, Techworks, Skullspace, Site3, Hacklab, UnLondon, just off the top
of my head. Anyone want to forward the top email to any of those
directors? I'll get around to it, eventually, but would be nice for
others to pitch in.

Seth Hardy

Aug 9, 2016, 4:29:31 PM8/9/16

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 1:41 AM, mattfreund <mattf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Your Name:
Your Space and City:
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes/No
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes/No

Seth, Site 3 coLaboratory, Toronto, founder but not currently a director.

At least one active director is on this list and I'm trying not to hold all their hands too much these days ;)

Ninety Nein

Aug 9, 2016, 4:33:13 PM8/9/16
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
I've forwarded this to VHS directors weeks ago.  Not sure what's up with them.

Titus Ferguson

Aug 10, 2016, 1:26:07 PM8/10/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name: Titus Ferguson
Your Space and City: UnLondon (UnLab), London, Ontario: www.unlondon.ca
Are you currently a director at your space: Yes (Executive Director)
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: ---

Thomas Gray

Aug 10, 2016, 2:08:54 PM8/10/16
to canadiancreativespaces
Your Name: Thomas Gray
Your Space and City:  Powell River Makerspace, Powell River, BC
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: No

--

---

kjmc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 3:53:36 PM2/7/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:  Kile McKenna
Your Space and City:  Kamloops Makerspace, Kamloops BC
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes

Jordan @ Makerspace Nanaimo

Feb 7, 2017, 5:42:13 PM2/7/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:
Jordan Perry

Your Space and City:
Makerspace Nanaimo (makerspacenanaimo.org)
Nanaimo, BC (map)

Are you currently a director at your space:Yes/No
Yes & Treasurer

Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes/No
I've just discovered and shared the existence of this group with them, so yes.

Chris Riley

Feb 8, 2017, 8:59:30 AM2/8/17
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, Ohm Base has lost it's home, so we are currently homeless as well. (As best as we can tell, the Library we were in had a different idea about what a makerspace was, so they made up an excuse to terminate the partnership and is currently making a hash of trying to run one themselves)

-What city is your space in?
Thunder Bay, Ontario

-Square footage
0, or infinity, depending on how you view the glass half full question.

-Monthly rent
0. We had storage space donated for free by some local businesses.

-Monthly utility cost
0, see above.

-Monthly insurance cost
0, we have always had our insurance donated by the local innovation centre, so even when we had a space, we fell under their policy.

-Where in your city are you located? (Very central, industrial park, out in the lowest rent boonies, etc.)
Was the public library, now spread around in several business store rooms.

Derrol Salmon

Feb 18, 2017, 12:08:43 AM2/18/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Your Name:Derrol Salmon
Your Space and City: NewMakeIt, Newmarket ON
Are you currently a director at your space:Yes/No No
Are all current directors at your space aware of this group: Yes/No No