Space costs

adamundefined @ Halifax Makerspace

Feb 7, 2017, 4:01:05 PM2/7/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Hey all,

I kinda forgot to join in on the latest round of the welcome/introduction thread. I'm Adam Cox and I'm the president of Halifax Makerspace. We have been homeless for a while now. We had to leave our last space because it was in a university owned building and they decided to change the use of the building. We then had a lead on some free space offered by a company but unfortunately it dragged on for a long time and then ultimately didn't work out because of security worries by the company. We lost some momentum during that time and are pretty much starting from scratch to build up enough members who are willing to pay for a space. The cost of commercial rent seems stupidly high in many places and I'm curious what other groups are paying for their spaces. The cheapest we have seen so far is about $1/sq ft/month, plus extra for utilities. If you have a minute could you reply with the details about your space?

-What city is your space in?
-Square footage
-Monthly rent
-Monthly utility cost
-Monthly insurance cost
-Where in your city are you located? (Very central, industrial park, out in the lowest rent boonies, etc.)

Thanks,
Adam

Clark, Simon

Feb 7, 2017, 4:22:43 PM2/7/17
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
> -What city is your space in?
Guelph, Ontario

> -Square footage
2700 sqft

> -Monthly rent
$1650

> -Monthly utility cost
$140 I think, but it’s been a long time since I was responsible for it.

> -Monthly insurance cost
$130

> -Where in your city are you located? (Very central, industrial park, out in the lowest rent boonies, etc.)

5 minute walk from downtown (Guelph is 130,000 people, so not huge)

Simon

Jordan @ Makerspace Nanaimo

Feb 7, 2017, 5:38:12 PM2/7/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Makerspace Nanaimo (makerspacenanaimo.org)

-What city is your space in?
Nanaimo, BC

-Square footage
3200 sqft

-Monthly rent
$1365 (discounted by landlord)

-Monthly utility cost
$300-600 depending on electric heating bill

-Monthly insurance cost
$150

-Where in your city are you located? (Very central, industrial park, out in the lowest rent boonies, etc.)
Commerical/Industrial park, central to the city sprawl, but not downtown.

Jordan Elliott

Feb 8, 2017, 9:51:41 AM2/8/17
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Hey guys,

I love when this picks up again once a year!

ProtoShed meets one evening a week in an Electrical Engineering lab at Memorial University in St. John's.  The Dean of Electrical and Computer Engineering let us move there from an unheated, city owned pool house.  We're allowed access to all the soldering irons, power supplies, multimeters, etc.  We don't have enough members to warrant our own space, so this is the best that we've had.

-What city is your space in?
St. John's, NL

-Square footage
150-200 ish

-Monthly rent
Free.99

-Monthly utility cost
Thank you MUN

-Monthly insurance cost
Don't have any

-Where in your city are you located? (Very central, industrial park, out in the lowest rent boonies, etc.)
MUN is in about the middle of the city.  Very accessible by public transit and car.