If you are going to be in Calgary during our Maker Faire...

Byron Hynes

Aug 1, 2016, 4:19:34 PM8/1/16
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
This is of interest mostly to Alberta-based groups, but I am posting it here in case we missed anyone directly, or any representatives of other groups might be in Calgary on August 20-21.

Cheers,
   Byron!

Calgary Protospace and the Calgary Mini Maker Faire invite you to come share the vision of your organization and the maker culture in Calgary and Area, by joining our Panel Discussion during Maker Faire.

Protospace – Calgary’s original Hacker and Maker Space – is hosting a presentation and panel discussion at Maker Faire, with the goal of getting the word out about all of the great Maker Spaces and similar options available and coming online. With well over a half-dozen publicly accessible maker and creative spaces, we thought the community could benefit from a bit of compare and contrast, and we can all benefit from exposure and knowing more about each other and what each of us bring to the community.

We are currently waiting on the scheduling arrangements from the Maker Faire team (we have been approved), and the panel will be held on August 20 or 21 (or may even repeated if there is lots of support and interest).

The presentation will consist of two parts:

  • “Part the first” – each organization or agency can make a presentation about who they are and what they offer. Presentation decks (slides/PowerPoint) or video can be used. Please note that this will need to be brief. Depending on the number of confirmed participants and our final time slot, expect to have three to five minutes, which will, unfortunately, need to be enforced.

  • “Part the second” – we open the floor to questions from the audience or other panel members for a round-table discussion about the Maker movement in Calgary and Alberta.

Priority will be given to “spaces” (creative spaces/maker spaces/hacker spaces/innovation spaces/fab labs or hand-on education labs) that are open to the public (via membership, or drop-in). Related spaces (such as those open only to your own students or staff) and related organizations (such as clubs and competitions) accepted as space permits.

Please reply to me (byron...@protospace.ca) to confirm your interest in participating!

Regards,

    Byron Hynes

PS: Did you even know there were so many Maker Spaces and Maker Resources? Here’s the list we’ve contacted so far. If you know of someone else who should be invited, please forward me their name.

Maker Spaces (Public or Private*)

  • Calgary Protospace
  • Archeloft
  • Calgary Maker Space Project
  • Calgary Public Library – Idea Lab
  • Edmonton New Technology Society (ENTS)
  • Central Alberta Maker Space (CAMS)
  • Soundbox (NMC Musical Maker Space)
  • Civic Innovation YYC (City of Calgary)*
  • Edmonton Public Library
  • Microsoft Internal Makerspace*

 Maker Resource and related groups:

  • FRC West
  • Western Canada Robotics Society (WCRS)
  • Canadian Maker Foundation / Make Fashion