How to manage tool use during Open House/Hack Night

kulps @ ENTS Edmonton

Sep 12, 2019, 9:48:07 PM9/12/19
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
Hey guys,

We're struggling with members using tools during our open night. The noise is the most common issue as it bleeds throughout the space but welding is equally problematic.
It's hard to give tours with a router/angle grinder/anvil being used in the background. The welding is its own problem because you cant even enter the work area when it's happening due to the arc.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Derek Jacoby

Sep 12, 2019, 10:00:10 PM9/12/19
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Scale. We've cut open houses down to once a month, so there are usually 40-50 new potential members in for a tour. The chaos is profound enough that our members avoid that two hour block like the plague.

--

---

Grant Fraser

Sep 13, 2019, 12:05:05 PM9/13/19
to Coalition of Canadian Creative Spaces
You should have portable welding screens. A welder shouldn't start work without protecting others first. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-x-6-ft-portable-welding-screen-and-frame/A-p8192775e

Andrew Popoff

Sep 13, 2019, 7:45:21 PM9/13/19
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
Hand out UV protective safety glasses

If you're not directly involved in the
welding process, but work in an area where welding is going on you should ALWAYS have safety glasses on at a minimum. Even clear safety glasses will usually provide some form of UV protection, but Shade 5 is what you need when working in close proximity to welding

L Wilkins

Sep 13, 2019, 7:58:08 PM9/13/19
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
No big tools during open night. Especially welding. It's 2-3 hours that ensures the space had new incoming members, seems like a reasonable compromise.

Alex Leitch

Sep 15, 2019, 9:08:06 AM9/15/19
to CanadianCre...@googlegroups.com
I second the "no big tools during open night" rule, it's best to just have the capacity on display with some nice sample work.