Motors - help please! (also where to buy?)

David Paul Young

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
OK short and to the point.
I'm a student on an engineering course and I have to build a robot to go
over a 10 cm step and carry a load (20ish Kg), the total weight is going to
be around 40Kg. I have the design (basically like a tank(ish)), but it's
the motor that's the problem.

I thought starter motor but I can't change the direction of them (needs to
go backwards), so I need a two (left track and right track motor) DC motors
capable of shifting a fair bit of weight (it has to climb the step with the
weight, as well as itself).

So here what I thought, how's about two wheelchair motors, or washing
machine motors or may be from older cars (before say 1980) the dynamo
alternators (I think)? I should mansion I have a budget of £120 so second
hand would be best!

Please help - also if you know of any places to get these motors (I'm also
looking for a pair of Sinclair C5 motors) I'd be most grateful,

--
David Paul Young
dp...@hotmail.com

David Paul Young

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Doh, forgot to say I'm in the UK

Dave

Nick Sheldon

Aug 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/8/00
Motors for our robots came from J&N Factors +44 (0)1444 881965. Ask for
Mr.Bull, and mention my name. He has all sorts, from 2 watt synchronous 4
rpm, to powerful, fast DC ones. All his stuff is surplus/cheap !

Nick Sheldon
Director, Norwich Robotics Project

Greg Middleton

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:31:27 +0100, "David Paul Young"
<dp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>OK short and to the point.
>I'm a student on an engineering course and I have to build a robot to go
>over a 10 cm step and carry a load (20ish Kg), the total weight is going to
>be around 40Kg. I have the design (basically like a tank(ish)), but it's
>the motor that's the problem.

>I thought starter motor but I can't change the direction of them (needs to
>go backwards),

You can change direction with heavy mods, but there are lots of more
severe problems so forget them.

>so I need a two (left track and right track motor) DC motors
>capable of shifting a fair bit of weight (it has to climb the step with the
>weight, as well as itself).

>So here what I thought, how's about two wheelchair motors,

Would certainly do, try the local disability vehicle shops especially
those that do repair work.

>or washing
>machine motors
They're AC

> or may be from older cars (before say 1980) the dynamo
>alternators (I think)?

Never heard of these being used

> I should mansion I have a budget of £120 so second
>hand would be best!
>
>Please help - also if you know of any places to get these motors (I'm also
>looking for a pair of Sinclair C5 motors) I'd be most grateful,

C5 motors are usually £125 each if the gear box is included !

You don't say how fast you have to climb, if speed isn't a problem
then just use a couple of good wiper motors, the ones from old
transits will cost you about £10 each and are fairly good, and 2 speed
so a simple relay control can give you more than just on-off control.

Use a chain drive to reduce the speed by a factor of say 5 and you'll
easily do it. Sprockets and chain can be got from old petrol lawn
mowers from the local tip.

Greg

Kevin FitzGerrell

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
In article <8mpude$gvt$1...@plutonium.btinternet.com>,

"David Paul Young" <dp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Doh, forgot to say I'm in the UK

Dave,

No problem, the "budget of £120" was a dead give-away.

I don't know if they are as popular over there as here in the USA, but
the kids "Power Wheels" ride on toys (2 battery version) have a pair of
nice motor/gearbox sets that are fairly powerful. I used a pair of
these in a small skid-steer tracked vehicle that would haul my son and
the vehicle (about 35Kg total) up a 30 degree slope at about 2 mph.
These ride on toys are often available in the thrift shops here for $10
- $15. The motor/gearbox combination sells for about $25 (new) at the
shops that service these toys.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

andy the pugh

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Greg Middleton <gr...@nospam-deepseaplc.com> wrote:

> >or washing
> >machine motors
> They're AC

Not always, but the DC ones generally run at reasonably high voltages
(100V or so).

--
ap

Greg Middleton

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00

Well I've looked at quite a few while scrounging spares, and have yet to
see anything other than an AC type. The machines made over the last few
years are very consistent inside, most brands actually come from the
same factory in Italy, and sadly that includes 'British' brands 8-(. I
find it VERY hard to believe that a mains powered washing machine is
going to use a low voltage DC motor, along with its power supply it
would cost far more and to what gain ?.

180V DC servo motors are very common in industrial products, but again
are far more expensive and only used where you need very compact motors,
and size is not exactly a problem in washing machines so again what
would be the justification for using them ?.

Greg

andy the pugh

Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
Greg Middleton <gr...@nospam-deepseaplc.com> wrote:

> > Not always, but the DC ones generally run at reasonably high voltages
> > (100V or so).
>
> Well I've looked at quite a few while scrounging spares, and have yet to
> see anything other than an AC type. The machines made over the last few
> years are very consistent inside,

Quite probably, the one I have in the garage came from a Philips made
quite some time before "the last few years". Probably about 1982 or
thereabouts.

They hyped it quite a lot in the sales literature at the time, it was
their way of getting infinitely variable speed.

Of course, quite a lot of AC motors will run on DC too, at the right
voltage. The ones in power tools are an obvious example.

--
ap

ME

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
I have also hear of people using cordless drills, or other power tools.
They have reasonable power, variable speed, reverse, and a rechargable
battery.
Plenty of used ones out there, no doubt.

David Paul Young <dp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> OK short and to the point.
> I'm a student on an engineering course and I have to build a robot to go
> over a 10 cm step and carry a load (20ish Kg), the total weight is going
> be around 40Kg. I have the design (basically like a tank(ish)), but it's
> the motor that's the problem.
>
> I thought starter motor but I can't change the direction of them (needs to

> go backwards), so I need a two (left track and right track motor) DC

motors
> capable of shifting a fair bit of weight (it has to climb the step with
the
> weight, as well as itself).
>

> So here what I thought, how's about two wheelchair motors, or washing
> machine motors or may be from older cars (before say 1980) the dynamo
> alternators (I think)? I should mansion I have a budget of £120 so second

> hand would be best!
>
> Please help - also if you know of any places to get these motors (I'm also
> looking for a pair of Sinclair C5 motors) I'd be most grateful,
>

> --
> David Paul Young
> dp...@hotmail.com

ScratchBuilder

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
David, I have two wheelchair motors I would be glad to give you at a very
reasonable price...but unfortunately because you are not in the U.S.,
shipping would probably makeit beyond your budget. The wheelchair motors I
have run at around 150 RPM with considerable torque (they have a gearbox
built in). I'm sure you can find motors like these if you look for some old
electric wheechairs... You might even get a working speed control too.

-tom

"ME" <N...@THIS.TIME.COM> wrote in message

John Atwood

Aug 23, 2000, 8:08:21 PM8/23/00

www.meci.com has some that should suit your specs and budget.

John Atwood
-----

Michael Casavant

Aug 31, 2000, 11:29:07 AM8/31/00
I was in the FIRST competition last year, and our robot used Bosch drill
motors...which did exceptionally well. Also, motors from Power Wheel toys are
quite powerful.

shod

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
Have you looked into a transfer box motor? The second dump box of the
truck is pulled into the first one with a started type motor that is
reversible. that's how the driver gets the second dump box back out of
the first after dumping the contents.