nuclear energy from the sun ?

1 view

Steve Longman

Sep 6, 2003, 9:39:48 PM9/6/03
"Daniel J. Lavigne" <tax...@taxrefusal.com> wrote in message

> -------------
> The fuel supply for nuclear power is virtually limitless if we use
> fast-breeder reactors to produce plutonium -- .
> But only a few fast-breeder reactors have been constructed, and they
> have proved to be prohibitively expensive, largely as a result of
> the need for special safety systems. These reactors generate an
> extraordinary amount of heat in a very small space and use molten
> metals or liquid sodium to remove the heat. Designing reactors to
> take these properties into account has made them costly to build and
>> shutdowns: the French Superphoenix reactor operated for less than
> one year during the first ten years after it had been commissioned.

I agree, atomic power is the salvation for mankind

> France and the UK, despite having pursued breeder programs for
> several decades, have no plans for constructing more such plants.
> Japan has not restarted its Monju reactor, which was shut down after
> a sodium fire in December 1995. Among countries that have
> constructed breeders, Russia alone supports further development.
>
> It is also possible to reprocess spent fuel into a form known as MOX
> (mixed oxide), which consists of a mixture of plutonium and uranium
> oxides. Reprocessed MOX fuel can then be used to replace
> conventionaal uranium fuel in power plants. However, only two MOX
> plants have been built (one in the UK, the other in France), and
> both have turned out to be environmental and financial nightmares.
>
> Uranium -- the usual fuel for conventional reactors -- must be
> mined, and it exists in finite quantities. The US currently
> possesses enough uranium to fuel existing nuclear reactors for the
> next 40 years. The mining process is wasteful, polluting, and
> dangerous: the early New Mexico uranium mines, which employed mostly
> Navajo workers, ruined thousands of acres of Native lands and
> poisoned workers and their families. The entire episode constitutes
> a horrific and permanent blot on the industry's record.

> that would be party to Mass Murder.
> http://www.taxrefusal.com http://www.dieoff.com
> "Never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change
> the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Sep 6, 2003, 11:05:51 PM9/6/03

"Steve Longman" <sp...@spam.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel J. Lavigne" <tax...@taxrefusal.com> wrote in message
>
> > -------------
> > The fuel supply for nuclear power is virtually limitless if we use
> > fast-breeder reactors to produce plutonium -- .
> > But only a few fast-breeder reactors have been constructed, and they
> > have proved to be prohibitively expensive, largely as a result of
> > the need for special safety systems. These reactors generate an
> > extraordinary amount of heat in a very small space and use molten
> > metals or liquid sodium to remove the heat. Designing reactors to
> > take these properties into account has made them costly to build and
> >> shutdowns: the French Superphoenix reactor operated for less than
> > one year during the first ten years after it had been commissioned.
>

> I agree, atomic power is the salvation for mankind

Out of luck there.
We already use it in our cars and it's running out.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org

Ron

Sep 12, 2003, 1:13:27 PM9/12/03
"Dirk Bruere at Neopax" <di...@neopax.com> wrote in message news:<bje78k$fvp0b$1...@ID-120108.news.uni-berlin.de>...

We can grow more energy in the form of sugar beets.

.