Another major coup for our Trudeau government . . .

brewn...@gmail.com

May 17, 2019, 9:21:52 PM5/17/19
She's little, but she's tough . . . . Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland. She's hung in there for all these ugly months under Donald Trump's reign. And today the break-through on the ugly tariffs Trump brought in against Canada (and Mexico) under the guise of being 'a threat to U.S. security'.

Stunning new employment numbers last week . . . . a breakthrough against punitive tariffs this week . . . . Trudeau will be able to stand on his record going into the election. Scheer is going to have to continue to call for 'inquiries' to try to tear down the Liberal government. . . . so very pathetic.

Canada and Mexico decided to play the 'trump card' . . . . 'you don't lift tariffs, we don't ratify the new version NAFTA deal'. And Trump folded.
_______________________

CBC News · Posted: May 17, 2019

Canada, U.S. reach deal to lift steel and aluminum tariffs within 2 days

The nearly year-long tariff war between Canada and the U.S. is almost over.

The Canadian government released a statement Friday saying the two sides have agreed to eliminate the tariffs within two days.

"This is pure good news," said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a stop at the Stelco plant in Hamilton, Ont.

The deal applies to the tariffs the U.S. imposed last June by citing national security — 25 per cent on imports of steel and 10 per cent on aluminum — as well as Canada's retaliatory tariffs on steel, aluminum and as other consumer products.

Canada has long argued last summer's tariffs were illegal. As part of the deal, the Trudeau government has agreed to end its legal challenge against the U.S at the World Trade Organization on the section 232 tariffs.

The deal also includes:

A monitoring system to watch out for any potential surges in the metals markets.
A commitment to stop the importation of aluminum and steel that is unfairly subsidized or sold at 'dumped' prices.
A promise to prevent the transshipment of aluminum and steel made outside of Canada or the United States to either country.

It makes no mention of quotas, an American proposal the Canadian side fought against.
"We stayed strong because that's what workers were asking for, but also that's what Canadians were saying," said Trudeau.

Trudeau spoke to U.S. President Donald Trump earlier today, their third conversation this week. The Prime Minister's Office said the pair discussed the tariff issue.

Trump was looking for a win: source

The tariffs have disrupted supply chains and added extra costs for consumers and businesses across a wide range of industries on both sides of the border, and were becoming a barrier to ratifying the new North American free trade pact.

A senior source with direct knowledge of the negotiations said the Canadian side had been quietly insisting that Canada wasn't going to ratify that deal until the tariffs were lifted. The source added that President Trump is looking for a trade win, given escalating tension with China.

Trudeau had been using his phone calls with Trump to point out that Canada poses no credible national security risk to the United States, said the source.

Trudeau said Friday's agreement followed a series of conversations between Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, Finance Minister Bill Morneau and Canadian and American negotiators.

"There was no one breakthrough moment ... Lots of conversations with the president over the past week and an understanding as well that these tariffs were harming workers and consumers on both sides of the border," he said in Hamilton.

"As we look at moving forward with the new NAFTA, it didn't make a lot of sense to continue to have tariffs on steel and aluminum between our countries. That's where we got to."

Mexico's chief North American trade negotiator, Jesus Seade — who said on Wednesday the U.S. and Mexico were close to a deal and were waiting on Canada — tweeted Friday that the deal followed bilateral talks between Mexico and the U.S.

Dhu on Gate

May 17, 2019, 10:03:14 PM5/17/19
On Fri, 17 May 2019 18:21:50 -0700, brewnoser2 wrote:

> She's little, but she's tough . . . . Foreign Affairs Minister
> Chrystia Freeland. She's hung in there for all these ugly months under
> Donald Trump's reign. And today the break-through on the ugly tariffs
> Trump brought in against Canada (and Mexico) under the guise of being 'a
> threat to U.S. security'.

I'm not sure how the Libbies should spin it, but Ms. Freeland has more
stones than Justin's got brains. Mebbe they should sell JT as her
Frontman or Cheerleader or something...

Dhu (I know how _I'd_ spin it ;-)

Liberals are VERMIN!

May 17, 2019, 10:12:55 PM5/17/19
The tail doesn't wag the dog. The Americans allowed this. Turdeau has ZERO influence.

Dhu on Gate

May 17, 2019, 11:18:23 PM5/17/19
On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:12:54 -0700, Liberals are VERMIN! wrote:

> The tail doesn't wag the dog. The Americans allowed this. Turdeau has
> ZERO influence.

"The Americans"? Ok.
Some Americans know which side of the bread the butter is on and _they_
told Mr. Trump.

Dhu

Greg Carr

May 18, 2019, 5:00:58 AM5/18/19
Glad the stupid tariffs by Trumpenfuhrer against Canada are to be gone. Will still be voting Conservative in the upcoming election because the deficit is 20 billion dollars a year when Turdeau said it would balance itself. I also don't like the Liberals ethical violations and their pay equity crap and Turdeau's total failures on foreign policy.

M I Wakefield

May 18, 2019, 9:02:06 AM5/18/19
"Karen Gordon" wrote in message

Not a "major coup" ... not even the top story in the Report on Business
section of the Globe and Mail's main page.

And your fellatial adoration of all things Justin is frankly a little
creepy.

Dave Smith

May 18, 2019, 10:06:44 AM5/18/19
It is a little face saving at best. He got roped into a shitty trade
deal. Now he is trying to make himself look like a winner by not
agreeing to it until the tariffs were listed. In his little world it
looks like he forced the US to its knees.

M I Wakefield

May 18, 2019, 12:00:16 PM5/18/19
"M I Wakefield" wrote in message news:qbovod$qb3$1...@dont-email.me...

> "Karen Gordon" wrote in message

> Not a "major coup" ... not even the top story in the Report on Business
> section of the Globe and Mail's main page.

And for a sane person's views:

With Trudeau's leadership under fire, Liberals try to regroup before October

The SNC-Lavalin affair helped turn the party's best political asset - the
prime minister - into a burden

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-snc-lavalin-trudeau-analysis-cochrane-1.5140337

brewn...@gmail.com

May 18, 2019, 2:51:58 PM5/18/19
On Saturday, May 18, 2019 M I Wakeford wrote:

> Not a "major coup" ... not even the top story in the Report on Business
> section of the Globe and Mail's main page.
>
> And your fellatial adoration of all things Justin is frankly a little
> creepy.

I had the same thought about you and Andrew Scheer . . .

Greg Carr

May 19, 2019, 5:59:54 AM5/19/19
Scheer has a bigger penis than Justin :-)

M I Wakefield

May 22, 2019, 10:03:51 PM5/22/19
"Karen Gordon" wrote in message

> She's little, but she's tough . . . . Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia
> Freeland. She's hung in there ...

And now, apparently, she's taken to the airwaves, begging Chinese diplomats
to return her calls.

brewn...@gmail.com

May 22, 2019, 10:20:59 PM5/22/19
On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at Greg Carr wrote:
> Scheer has a bigger penis than Justin :-)

You would know . . .