Is the U.S. Surface Temperature Record Reliable? - How Do We Know Global Warming Is A Problem If We Can?t Trust The U.S. Temperature Record?

AlleyCat

May 15, 2022, 8:02:08 PM5/15/22

Is the U.S. Temperature Record Reliable?

By Anthony Watts

SurfaceStations.org

Executive Summary

Global warming is one of the most serious issues of our times. Some experts
claim the rise in temperature during the past century was "unprecedented" and
proof that immediate action to reduce human greenhouse gas emissions must
begin. Other experts say the warming was very modest and the case for action
has yet to be made.

The reliability of data used to document temperature trends is of great
importance in this debate. We can't know for sure if global warming is a
problem if we can't trust the data.

The official record of temperatures in the continental United States comes from
a network of 1,221 climate-monitoring stations overseen by the National Weather
Service, a department of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA). Until now, no one had ever conducted a comprehensive review of the
quality of the measurement environment of those stations.

During the past few years I recruited a team of more than 650 volunteers to
visually inspect and photographically document more than 860 of these
temperature stations. We were shocked by what we found.

We found stations located next to the exhaust fans of air conditioning units,
surrounded by asphalt parking lots and roads, on blistering-hot rooftops, and
near sidewalks and buildings that absorb and radiate heat. We found 68 stations
located at wastewater treatment plants, where the process of waste digestion
causes temperatures to be higher than in surrounding areas.

In fact, we found that 89 percent of the stations - nearly 9 of every 10 - fail
to meet the National Weather Service's own siting requirements that stations
must be 30 meters (about 100 feet) or more away from an artificial heating or
radiating/reflecting heat source.

In other words, 9 of every 10 stations are likely reporting higher or rising
temperatures because they are badly sited.

It gets worse. We observed that changes in the technology of temperature
stations over time also has caused them to report a false warming trend. We
found major gaps in the data record that were filled in with data from nearby
sites, a practice that propagates and compounds errors. We found that
adjustments to the data by both NOAA and another government agency, NASA, cause
recent temperatures to look even higher.

The conclusion is inescapable: The U.S. temperature record is unreliable.

The errors in the record exceed by a wide margin the purported rise in
temperature of 0.7° C (about 1.2° F) during the twentieth century.
Consequently, this record should not be cited as evidence of any trend in
temperature that may have occurred across the U.S. during the past century.
Since the U.S. record is thought to be "the best in the world," it follows that
the global database is likely similarly compromised and unreliable.

This report presents actual photos of more than 100 temperature stations in the
U.S., many of them demonstrating vividly the siting issues we found to be
rampant in the network. Photographs of all 865 stations that have been surveyed
so far can be found at www.surfacestations.org, where station photos can be
browsed by state or searched for by name.

Anthony Watts

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/surfacestationsreport_sprin
g09.pdf

Debunk it, bitch, instead of the usual not-so-clever nerdy quips.

=====

May, So Far:

The US: Last Month Was Colder Than Many of The Aprils of The Late-1800s

Sharp Uptick In Arctic Sea Ice

Fierce Cold Spell Grips Antarctic Peninsula

Ontario's Latest Ski Day Ever

All Of Finland Drops Below Zero

As Anomalous Cold Persists In Europe

Fields Remain Unplanted On Vancouver Island: Similar Picture Across North
America

Similar Picture Across North America

Yukon Flood Risk After Record Snowpack

Europe's Colder-Than-Average April

Kalispell's Coldest April On Record

May Starts With a Snowstorm... In Hawaii

Record Books Rewritten In SE Asia

Hong Kong's Coldest May Day In Over 100 Years

Argentina Freezes

April In Antarctica Finishes -3C Below 1958-2021 Average

Asia's Record Cold Spell Intensifies

Colder-Than-Average April For Canada

America's Planting Delays

Central Europe Chills

AlleyCat

May 15, 2022, 11:19:49 PM5/15/22

This is a list of Rudy's climate experts... the same "science" experts who
think men can get pregnant:

Al Gore - No ice in Arctic... 20 foot sea level rise...
"the entire North polar ice cap may well be completely gone
in 5 years."

Greta Thunberg - a retard, so EVERYTHING she says is wrong, even if it's
coming from her handlers, who have trained her to remember
the speeches she gives, nay... READS

"Around 2030 we will be in a position to set off an
irreversible chain reaction beyond human control that will
lead to the end of our civilization as we know it."
- author unknown, but credited to Greta

Barack Obama - "You've been bombarded with warnings about what the future
will look like if you don't address climate change,"

We haven't "addressed" it since you whiners started whining, and we're all
still here and enjoying a cooling planet.

97% consensus bullshit

Heat waves are more common

Obama administration scientist slams claims of climate "emergency': Heat waves
are "no more common than they were in 1900'

John Kerry - Ice-free Arctic summers by 2014

Democratic climate czar John Kerry ominously predicted in 2009 that climate
change and global warming were such imminent threats to humanity that the
Arctic would have an ice-free summer by 2014.

That never happened.

Joe Biden - Claims tornadoes are caused by climate change

We've pretty much had tornadoes lonnng before CO² went to 400ppm, and we can
PROVE that stronger tornadoes are NOT more frequent. Yes, we are seeing "more"
tornadoes, but ONLY because Doppler RADAR sees ALL tornadoes now... F0 and up,
whereas before, we had NO way of knowing there were F0-F3s, if they never
touched down and were SEEN. F3-F5 are dropping like the temps.

https://i.imgur.com/F4b2f1s.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vrb3dON.png

Bill de Blasio - Blamed climate change for storm Sandy
Wanted to ban hot-dogs because of climate change

Alexandria - We only have 12 years... LOL
Ocasio-Cortez "Our World War II"

Beto O'Rourke - Just watch this loOn
https://i.imgur.com/RVETaIC.mp4

Noel Brown - "(E)ntire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth
by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not
reversed by the year 2000..."