Canada set to outlaw Holocaust denial

Auric Hellman

Apr 19, 2022, 6:13:03 PM4/19/22
(JTA <http://www.jta.org/>) — Canada is set to outlaw Holocaust denial,
a move that has the backing of the governing Liberal Party government
coalition and the opposition Conservative Party.

TheCTV reported on Saturday
<https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/holocaust-denial-and-downplaying-the-nazis-murder-of-jews-to-be-outlawed-in-canada-1.5855681>that
language adding Holocaust denial to the criminal code is in the
must-pass government budget.

Coalition officials cast the change as consistent with existing Canadian
laws criminalizing incitement to hatred and promotion of genocide.

“There is no place for antisemitism and Holocaust denial in Canada,”
Marco Mendicino, the public safety minister, told CTV.
“That’s why we’ve pledged to prohibit the wilful promotion of
antisemitism through condoning, denying or downplaying the Holocaust.
The Holocaust was one of the darkest chapters in human history. We must
preserve its memory, combat contemporary antisemitism and be unequivocal
when we say: never again.”

Irwin Cotler, the veteran human rights activist who is currently
Canada’s special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating
antisemitism, said: “Holocaust denial and distortion constitute a cruel
assault on memory, truth, and justice — an antisemitic libel to cover up
the worst crime in history — and thereby a cruel and mocking rebuke to
Holocaust survivors and their legacy.”

The language echoes a separate law already advanced by a Conservative
member of parliament, Kevin Waugh of Saskatchewan. He called the
decision a “win for everybody.”

Canada joins a number of European nations, including Germany, that have
criminalized Holocaust denial.

https://www.jta.org/2022/04/11/global/canada-set-to-outlaw-holocaust-denial

Free speech is the core of all human rights. When it is suppressed, the
fundamental rights of everyone has been trampled upon. This new
legislation is an insult to all Canadians, and must be relegated to the
trash bin of history.
<https://www.jta.org/2022/04/11/global/canada-set-to-outlaw-holocaust-denial>

--
Dr. Auric D. Hellman
adhel...@volcanomail.com

Dhu on Gate

Apr 19, 2022, 7:29:04 PM4/19/22
On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:12:37 -0400, Auric Hellman wrote:

> Free speech is the core of all human rights. When it is suppressed, the
> fundamental rights of everyone has been trampled upon. This new

Fine.

Then If you start yellin' "Fire" in a crowded theatre, I'm gonna make
my Right to Free Expression clear to all by tattooing an "Eye of Sauron"
on your forehead.

https://www.sideshow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Eye-of-Sauron-740x370.jpeg

Dhu