Wind and Solar Power Totally Fail the 2023 Texas Ice Storm

AlleyCat

Feb 7, 2023, 6:45:11 PM2/7/23

Wind and Solar Power Totally Fail the 2023 Texas Ice Storm

4 days ago - - If the temperatures were 15 degrees colder and the power surge
pushed the grid to the brink, it would be impossible to defend wind and solar's
total failure this week. Texas has 37,422 megawatts of wind capacity. Wind
power provides 22% of the electric grid mix in Texas. Natural gas is 44%.

=====

Wind and Solar Power Totally Fail the 2023 Texas Ice Storm

Feels like the movie Groundhog's Day here in Austin, Texas.

For the second February in three years, over 145,000 homes are without power
for multiple days in the middle of winter.

But the circumstances that caused the power to go out in 2021 - and 2023 are
completely different.

When Winter Storm Uri hit in February 2021 - , thirty million Texans were
cranking up the heat as the weather outside hovered in the single digits.
Brutally cold temperatures combined with a wicked ice storm to freeze wind
turbines and natural gas lines. Temperatures were way colder for a much longer
duration. The power went out (and water pipes froze) for millions of Texans.

You could definitely blame that failure on the Texas grid.

The 2023 Texas Ice Storm is totally different.

It wasn't a statewide issue with the power grid (despite solar and wind totally
choking in the clutch, as you will see shortly).

It's because:

Austin has 34 million trees

36% of Austin is covered by tree canopy

Millions of brittle tree branches got coated with 2/3" to 1" of ice

Tens of thousands of tree branches collapsed under the enormous weight. During
a 30 minute drive in North Austin a few hours ago, I saw hundreds of downed
trees.

The City of Austin owns and operates Austin Energy.

Like everything else the city runs, it's a horribly mismanaged circus.

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F5e4f0122-
0a8c-4bfd-9659-fd682d566183_1668x1382.jpeg

Austin Energy is supposed to trim trees on a seven year rotation.

But I guarantee they stopped their normal tree trimming activities over the
past three years because "muh Covid precautions".

Plus Austin Energy gets a ton of pushback from home owners who don't want
anyone touching their trees.

You can blame Austin Energy for not trimming enough trees. You can blame the
Austin City Council for spending way too much time and money on Diversity,
Equity and Inclusion initiatives and not nearly enough on ensuring that core
city services (power, water, police, 911 calls) are functioning properly.

But the 145,000 Austinites who are wearing hats, gloves and winter jackets in
their living rooms tonight cannot blame their predicament on Governor Abbott or
the Texas power grid for this failure.

It's local.
Subscribe

The climate crazy lunatics got real lucky with this Ice storm.

If the temperatures were 15 degrees colder and the power surge pushed the grid
to the brink, it would be impossible to defend wind and solar's total failure
this week.

Texas has 37,422 megawatts of wind capacity.

Wind power provides 22% of the electric grid mix in Texas. Natural gas is 44%.

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fa384dfd6-
8c28-47a3-8ce0-e5b5d12168b0_1668x1329.jpeg

But when this week's Ice Storm arrived in Texas, wind and solar power
generation totally failed.

You can view ERCOT's real-time dashboards to see what's going on with the grid.

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe3c692d1-
3fda-41f0-8e48-edc75b49ad59_1668x1429.jpeg

This screengrab from February 1st at high noon shows what carried the heavy
power load and saved our asses from catastrophe.

Natural Gas (67.8%)

Coal and Lignite (19%)

Wind was only generating a pathetic 1,529 megawatts (2.5%) at high noon on
Wednesday.

Solar was only chipping in a puny 1,496 megawatts (2.4%).

To refresh your memory, Texas has 37 gigawatts of wind capacity.

But wind power provided just 1.5 gigawatts of that capacity on Wednesday.

We need to start treating these climate crazy Jabroni's with way more
aggressive attitudes.

Teddy has been trying to bring "Jabroni" back into the lexicon over the past
several Substack posts.

Last Sunday night, Travis Kelce called the Mayor of Cincinnati a "Jabroni" in
front of a nationwide TV audience of about 45 million.

Then the Wall Street Journal (!) followed up with an article dedicated to the
origins of the word "Jabroni'.

Now I'm starting to believe that 2023 is the Year of the Jabroni.

Speaking of Jabroni's....

I thought Elon Musk was granting amnesty for all Twitter accounts that were
wrongly suspended for telling the truth about Covid?!

It's been nine months since Elon sent that Tweet, and seven months since
Twitter suspended me.

Tonight was the third and final time I'm filing an appeal with Twitter.

Told them I'm an independent journalist with a proven track record of being a
hero and saving Austin taxpayers (literally) tens of millions of dollars.

I asked them why Substack, Spotify, Apple, IHeart Radio and TuneIn Radio allow
my content on their platforms - but Twitter doesn't.

It's only been a few hours since I filed that appeal.

But I don't have much hope for reinstatement.

Elon is a busy man. He hasn't had time to clear out all the bad apples.

I guarantee that dozens (hundreds?) of far-left Marxist Twitter employees stuck
around post-Elon as members of #TheResistance.

We shall see.

Teddy's going to make more memes in 2023.

This one just came out of the oven:

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/htt
ps%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F11555b81-
3ebb-46fa-ad7d-5a39b61b9cf2_901x1200.jpeg

What's coming in February 2023?

Teddy's been researching the wonderful world of Generative AI.

Spending time experimenting with the far-left, super woke chatbot everyone is
flapping their lips about.

I fed ChatGPT some red pills and asked it to tweet like Trump.

Here's a preview:

Teddy is way overdue for an update on the latest Covid madness. And way, way
overdue for podcast #42.
The Year of the Jabroni is upon us.

We've been way too nice to these Jabroni's about everything from Covid lies to
climate bullshit.

From now on, we've gotta start acting like The Rock when these Jabroni's spew
their garbage ideas.

=====

February: Soooo Hot!

Study: India's "Cold Waves" Have Increased Over The Past Decade

Summer Snow Clips Australia

Arctic Outbreaks For Asia

Europe And North America-With All-Time Record Cold Forecasts

Heavy Snow Sweeps Northern India
Summer "Cold-Snap" Grips Eastern Australia
Record Cold From Canada To Trinidad
Full-Blown Arctic Outbreak To Engulf Europe Starting Sunday

January: Soooo Hot!

Stations Across Antarctica Log Coldest January Temperatures Ever
Utah "Sinks" To -62F - State's Coldest Reading Since 2002
Asia's All-Time Lows
"The Stratosphere Has Suddenly Become Very, Very Cold"
Fierce Freeze Persists In Siberia
All-Time Cold Records Continue To Fall Across Japan
Snow In Mallorca
South Pole's Clear Cooling Trend
Heavy Snow For Europe
Historic Totals Across Western U.S.
Nunavut School Lowers "Cold Weather Cutoff" To -60C (-76F)
"Unprecedented" 170-Strong Herd Of Bison Spotted In Poland
Algeria Sees Rare Snowfall
157 Afghans Now Confirmed To Have Frozen Dead In "Coldest Winter On Record"
Benchmarks Busted In U.S.
*All-Time* Records Continue To Fall Across Japan
Record Lows And Deadly Snows Sweep Japan
Iceland's Coldest December For 50 Years
Cold Arctic Skies Produce Rare "Polar Stratospheric Clouds'
New National Record Low Set In China
All Korean Stations Fall Below Zero
Heathrow's Coldest Jan Temp Since 1987
UK National Grid "Rewarding" Brits For Switching Off Power
Cold Records Fall Across U.S.
"Piercing" Arctic Outbreak Looms
China Suffers -50C (-58F) For First Time In 54 Years
The Russian Towns And Cities Enduring All-Time Record Cold
Kyrgyzstan's Lake "That Never Freezes Over" Just Froze Over
Arctic Blasts For Europe And North America
Central America Endures Record Cold
China Forecast First -50C Since 1969
At Least 100 Killed In Afghanistan's Big Freeze
Major Winter Storm Clatters Plains, Midwest
Antarctic Ice Sheet Posts Record SMB Gains
Arctic Air Encases Europe
Russia's Freeze Intensifies (-80.9F)
Eighth Cold Wave Day Hits Delhi
Record Snow Strikes Arizona And Nevada
Busted: HadCRUT Data Tampering
Historic Cold In Cuba
Records Fall Across India, Pakistan And Iran
Heavy Snow Transforms European Landscapes
33 Feet And Counting: California Town Buried In Snow
Heavy Snow In South Korea
Russia Logs Coldest January Temperature Since 1982
Arctic Air Hits Europe, Delivers Feet Of Snow
Cooling Australia
Asia's Record-Breaking Arctic Outbreak Reaches Indian Ocean
Alerts Issued In India, China, Taiwan and Others
Big Freeze To Return To Europe (Just In Time For Davos)
U.S. To Be Pummeled Again Later In The Month
Extreme Freeze Intensifies Across Asia-Iranian's Told "To Bundle Up"
"More Snow Than Forecast" Buries European Slopes-Even More To Come
U.S. Agri Exports To China Smash Records
Sydney's Longest Spell Of Days Below 30C In 140-Years; Coldest Start To A Year
Since 1982 In São Paulo, Brazil; + Historic Snow In Western U.S. Helps Drive
Northern Hemisphere Snow Mass *Further* Above 1982-2012 Average
Siberia's Coldest Temperature Since 2002
Host Of Records Felled ACROSS Transcontinental Russia
California's Snowpack Highest In 40 Years
Heavy Snow "Causes Chaos" In Oslo
Extreme Freeze Begins Across Vast Areas Of Russia/Asia
Frigid Decembers For North America, Australia, Parts Of Europe, And Asia
Cold 2022 For The South Pole
Historic Snowfall In SD And MN
Twin Cities" Snowiest Start To Winter In 30-Years
Earth's Average Temperature Dropped *AGAIN* In December, Now Down 0.66C From
2016 Peak
Scandinavia's Cold December
If Global Warming Is Real And "Catastrophic", Why Are The Deserts Greening?
UK Avalanche Kills One
Extreme Freeze To Engulf All Of Russia
Mughal Road Blocked By 3-Feet Of Snow
Sydney Failed To Reach 32C In 2022 (First Year In Books Dating Back To 1859)
Greenland's Jakobshavn Glacier Continues To Grow